Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive cabs

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#850354  by John_Perkowski

Moderator's Note:

I just deleted a duplicate post. Mr Rowlands posted two views of the GE 80-tonner control stand, the solo is gone.
 #894264  by scharnhorst

Cab shot of Soviet / Ukrainian built locomotive at the Kiev Locomotive factory.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trainplane ... /lightbox/
this pic is the Locomotive its self
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2TE116-1507.jpg

Russian TEM type freight locomotives the pic below is a cab shot. The engineer gave a quick cab tour. The TEM's are based on early ALCO RSC-1's that were sent to the Soviet Union at the out brake of WWII on the lend lease program. They so sound vary much like an ALCO and are vary, vary hard to kill.
to prove the pont that TEMS sound like early ALCO's I found a video clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRdteYjrY2k
http://dummidumbwit.wordpress.com/2010/ ... comotives/
Attachments:
819599908_f47967e395.jpg
819599908_f47967e395.jpg (133.26 KiB) Viewed 10754 times
 #894385  by Mr.S

I am not sure if someone has already posted this question. However, I am doing some research for a friend who is not able to distinguish certain loco cabs on today's railroad locomotives. Would someone kindly explain the differences between these locomotive cabs?

Standard / Spartan Cab.

Canadian Cab / The Safety Cab - aka the Comfort Cab -
Yes,the ones that appeared on CN's SD40-2W's,GP38W's,GP40-2W's and ALCO / MLW models between 1970-1990
and BC RAIL ALCO / MLW's or EMD SD's built for BC RAIL..

The North American Cab - Today's North American Cab. -

Thank you
 #895112  by scharnhorst

Mr.S wrote:I am not sure if someone has already posted this question. However, I am doing some research for a friend who is not able to distinguish certain loco cabs on today's railroad locomotives. Would someone kindly explain the differences between these locomotive cabs?

Standard / Spartan Cab.

Canadian Cab / The Safety Cab - aka the Comfort Cab -
Yes,the ones that appeared on CN's SD40-2W's,GP38W's,GP40-2W's and ALCO / MLW models between 1970-1990
and BC RAIL ALCO / MLW's or EMD SD's built for BC RAIL..

The North American Cab - Today's North American Cab. -

Thank you
Safety Cab on a BC Rail MLW M420 in reality its an ALCO C420 but built in Montreal this style cab is only found on Montreal built ALCO models and EMD Units.
Attachments:
bcr0641mfa.jpg
bcr0641mfa.jpg (95.32 KiB) Viewed 10713 times
 #895113  by scharnhorst

EMD /GMD with the Same Cab note there is no difference between the cabs other than the add ons.
Attachments:
cn9400ass.jpg
cn9400ass.jpg (68.82 KiB) Viewed 10713 times
 #895114  by scharnhorst

GE Units use the Spartan cab note the notched corners on the safety cab. These cabs are found on GE Units.
Attachments:
cp8511acd.jpg
cp8511acd.jpg (82.89 KiB) Viewed 10711 times
 #895229  by MEC407

The MLW safety cab and the EMD safety cab are not the same. All you have to do is look at those pictures for more than a few seconds and you'll see numerous differences. The windshields are completely different, the nose is completely different... gosh, I don't even know where to begin. Really the only similarities they have are that they both have four-piece windshields. But the glass in each section isn't even the same shape between the two cab styles. Almost everything else about them is different. Unless you squint your eyes, I guess; then they look pretty similar.

Also, the GE safety cab is not a Spartan cab. A Spartan cab is a traditional cab, e.g., not a safety cab.
 #895291  by airman00

Does anyone have a picture of what the inside of an alco s-2 cab looks like? Or perhaps can tell me where to look, of what the layout is of an alco s-2 cab.
 #895547  by Juniatha

Montrealrail wrote:Here's some shot of the CP AC4400
let's come inside the CP 8858 AC4400dc
Hi Montrealrail

Nice pics, thanks for posting.

May I comment on the second picture -
the virtual monitor

Ok, the cab looks decently clean on the picture -

B-U-T ! ;-))
- pardon my coming back on an aspect I have commented earlier -

This is contemporary equipment?
My goodness - I don't believe it !? (- "Why - what's the matter?"- you may ask)

Well -> I may be jumping to conclusions, but this picture suggests to me, builders s-t-i-l-l haven't got the news that engineers like any other normal people do have legs and I presume they do want to put them down somewhere in front of them when sitting in a chair?
Erh, no, I'm not talking of comfort, it's basic ergonomics!
Just look at those sturdy sharp edges waiting to hack into knees of anyone wanting to take a closer look at these monitors!

Could it be, builders still use that age-old sack of potatoes as a test dummy for cab seats? Nowadays filled with gene-tech never-rotting potatoes - sure, sure. Sorry if I may sound somewhat sarcastic, asking if they have inherited that test method from the steam loco designers as for one tradition carried on ..?

Although, at second thought - no, that's unfair: there was leg room in front of seats in steam loco's cabs, there definitely was.
More so, they had provided numerous opportunities to put your legs up: on turrets, valve stands, controls, pipes and the likes - at various heights and in quite a selection of stances, too, ranging from tolerably reasonable to arguably absurd, free to choose according to each one's health and mobility to express one's posture and personality.

Besides, one more question:
Why do the high-fly rush-hush TGV or ICE high speed trains need to go that fffassst?
Answer:
Because you couldn't ask the passengers to wedge down in these tiny seats for any longer ..

So, anyways, keep the diesels humming!

= J =
 #958521  by RhoXS

My wife and I just enjoyed a round trip on the Amtrak Auto Train. I believe they use General Electric Genesis P40DC locomotives. I would be very interested to see what the interior of the cab looks like. If any pictures are available I would certainly appreciate seeing them.
 #958922  by MEC407

RhoXS wrote:I believe they use General Electric Genesis P40DC locomotives. I would be very interested to see what the interior of the cab looks like.
There is a link to a P40 cab interior photo on page 3 of this thread.

You can also try this: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=336830
 #1082469  by scharnhorst

Cab interior of a Soviet Built M62 locomotive still in use in Latvia.
Attachments:
800PX-~1.JPG
800PX-~1.JPG (74.49 KiB) Viewed 8931 times
 #1182827  by fl9m2004

Best diesel cab that I've been in is an now retired Fl9m
Second best is the p32's that metro north have
Third is the bl20gh's on Danbury shuttles
Forth is an RS1
Fifth is the p40's that used to run on Danbury shuttles
 #1184899  by MEC407

Here is an interior shot of Norfolk Southern's custom-designed "Crescent Cab," as used on their SD60E rebuilds:

Photo by Matt Donnelly: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=435933
 #1185193  by USRailFan

Banging your knee against the fire extinguisher every time you turn the seat must be fun...