Railroad Forums 

• Illinois Railway Museum Discussion

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#827338  by Frank Hicks

Mr rt wrote:(didn't try to find either you or Frank Hicks, we just did a tourist/visitor thing.
Not sure if you were there on Sunday, but if so I was running the CA&E cars so you may have seen me anyway. I wasn't out on Saturday though.

Frank Hicks
 #828203  by c604.

IRM will be having their annual Diesel Days event this coming weekend (July 17th and 18th). There will be around twenty operable locomotives running and three visiting locomtives from the UP (CNW Herritage unit, plus one of the two remaining CNW dash 9's) on display. There will also be an evening photo session Saturday. For those of you who haven't been to this event in the past, it is DEFINITLY worth the trip! Details are in the link below.

http://www2.irm.org/blogs/archives/734- ... -18th.html
 #831170  by atsf sp

The ATSF FP45 was not operable right? The WC SD45 was the only operating unit in the consist right?
 #831756  by Otto Vondrak

polybalt wrote:By all accounts, Diesel Days at IRM last weekend was a great succes. It was hot, but dry. There are several videos posted on YouTube of the event. This one gives a good overview of the parade format.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P-_CnZoaNA

Pete Schmidt
Oof. Tripod, please. Shaky camera made this one hard to watch....
 #834985  by polybalt

By all accounts, the IRM annual Vintage Transport Day, held yesterday, was a big success. When the weather cooperates, which it did, hundreds of antique autos and trucks show up for the event.

To handle the crowds, Veracruz open car #19 (Brill, 1914), recently acquired from the old Trolleyville collection, carried passengers for the first time. This is the first single truck car ever operated in service at IRM, as well as the first open car. It is still in "as-received" condition and lettered for Columbia Park & Southwestern but apparently was a hit with visitors. There is a short video up on You Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycR5pJGKDQY IRM wanted this car, because it had been converted to railroad profile wheels (wider wheel treads and deeper flanges) and IRM only operates cars with railroad profile wheels in service.

This car is particularly interesting to me because I rode the open cars in Veracruz in 1959. but checking my old slides, did not see this particular car. I also rode one of the two open cars when they arrived and first went into service at Trolleyville in 1962, but don't know which one.
 #835025  by ohioriverrailway

polybalt wrote:
To handle the crowds, Veracruz open car #19 (Brill, 1914), recently acquired from the old Trolleyville collection, carried passengers for the first time.
Believe first public operation was following the pageant on July 4th this year.
 #848428  by polybalt

IRM Members Ray Pieschiuk and his wife Julie have started producing a monthly TV show called IRMTV, which is shown on several local access cable outlets in the Chicago area. Ray has recently put the shows up on Youtube, each split into two parts. The August episodes cover two of IRM's biggest special events: Vintage Transport Day and the annual visit of the blue tank engine. These segments do a good job showing how IRM handles big events. Part I is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbchfAc_PJg

The last big event of the year is Members Weekend, September 18 and 19. Traditionally Saturday will feature electric cars and Sunday the diesels come out. Lots of interesting stuff runs both days.

This year there is a small chance that decapod Frisco 1630 will at least be fired up one day that weekend. The IRM Steam blog reports that the FRA inspector will be out this coming weekend to witness a hydro test.
 #848573  by eolesen

Would be nice to see the Frisco, even nicer to see the Little Joe... any update on him coming out of Barn 9?..

For those who still play Microsoft Train Sim, I have a work in progress @ http://www.mediafire.com/lanehog under filename IRM.zip
 #848638  by byte

The 803 was lugged out of barn 9 last year, for display only (with a lit headlight). I heard someone mention they may do that again, but the locomotive needs air compressor work so I don't think it will be running.
 #855682  by polybalt

Here's a belated report on IRM's Members Weekend,"aka "Museum Showcase Weekend", September 18 & 19. The weather was very threatening both days, although in the end it didn't actually rain. Turnout was good, and all 225 food tickets were sold to the unadvertised, members only catered barbeque cookout dinner Saturday night.

On the electric car side, two three-car trains of CA&E interurbans operated, one with wood cars and one with steel cars. All six cars operated were built by different builders! Also operating was a two-car North Shore train which included the beautifully restored 749. One of the Milwaukee steeple cabs pulled a three-car caboose train on the main line Saturday and several streetcars looped on the car line. However the threat of rain kept several cars with leaky roofs that were scheduled to run from making an appearance. Several trolley busses ran as well.

The theme on the diesel side of the house was long trains. A 22-car freight operated both days and an 12 - car passenger consist was operated with three MU-ed E units, with all six engines running.

I, for one, had a wonderful time!

Several videos have been posted on You-tube. My favorite one is this one of the long freight train, which seems to be in Run 8 for the runby.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcyRFMCCLFA
 #862524  by eolesen

Last Saturday (10/16), the 1630 was fired up for a FRA pressure test. It passed, although there are some other issues with the air compressor that need to be resolved. She was still sitting outside on the servicing leads when I was there on Sunday, but I didn't have my camera with me...

Since the museum effectively closes to the public for the winter in two weeks, it is probably too late to run this calendar year, but I suspect next spring will see smoke on the prairie once again...