Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut Trolley Museum, Warehouse Point, CT

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#845805  by 3rdrail

That #16 is one of my favorite cars and is a Springfield Terminal Railway Company wooden Wason combine. It had a great New England run carrying freight and passengers back and forth from Springfield, Vt to Charlestown, NH, making a connection with the B&M RR who owned STRyCo as well. In 1956 the line was dieselized with #16 being saved by the CTM along with a work car if I'm not mistaken. I plan to get down there myself, probably in October to get some shots during Fall hopefully of #16 with some colored leaves around. Nice folks, great trolley museum and collection. I've always enjoyed my visits at CTM and am looking forward to getting down there again.
 #846737  by RonM

Regarding the line cars, they have S193, which is former Ponemah Mills "C" which it earned it's number due to an ornamental horse shoe that got "adjusted". Later while at CTM, part of a platform turret from a USAF truck (?) was adapted to it. There is also a trailer, S194, have no story on that one. The I.S.U. line car, recently acquired. At one time they had a Niagara Junction line car (never used) that was struck by lightning. It's trucks were the correct type for Fairhaven & Westville open 355 and later donated them to that cause although they were sprung wrong for that application and later (?) corrected. A long time ago, there was a truck from Milwaukee (?) "Wally Mobile" named in "honor" of Walter Sheffield but I do not believe that was ever used and I have no idea whatever happened to it. I hope the info above is (somewhat) correct.
Last edited by RonM on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #846740  by RonM

Regarding the Springfield Terminal, there is 16, 10, and snow plow 12. There was also work motor 8, but it fell apart and was scrapped a long time ago. There is a great video, "Before the Wire Came Down" which I highly recommend viewing.
 #847818  by jscola30

I just came back form a trip yesterday, it was wonderful! Got to ride in the Rio car (a treat for me, a bossa-nova fan) and the Montreal touring car. Definitely want to go back again. I bought the repro souvenir guide that says at one point the CTM wanted to run steam trains. What happened to those locos (as I'm sure this was never realized)?
 #847822  by 3rdrail

jscola30 wrote:I just came back form a trip yesterday, it was wonderful! Got to ride in the Rio car (a treat for me, a bossa-nova fan) and the Montreal touring car. Definitely want to go back again. I bought the repro souvenir guide that says at one point the CTM wanted to run steam trains. What happened to those locos (as I'm sure this was never realized)?
I had heard that Antonio Carlos Jobim scored "The Girl From Ipanema" while sitting in the top row of that car, Mr. JSCOLA. :wink:
I'm heading down there soon, myself. Does #16 run most days ? I'll grab my son when I can pry him away from his new college studies and bring him along !
 #847823  by jscola30

Well you know, I have a friend I was telling him, "you know, I'm riding this trolley and I realize they're coudda been two guys like you and me, buying Jobim, Gilberto and Walter Wanderley records." Then he ads "Or those people themselves." I don't know about the other cars.
 #847830  by 3rdrail

Yeah, them too. They all have a history. One of the great things about museums- thinking about who used them and why. Maybe it goes even deeper than that. There's a theory put out in a book titled "The Nature Of Things: The Secret Life Of Inanimate Objects" by Watson that suggests that everything in this world has a form of life...and memory. That would include trolleys too.
 #848118  by RonM

Hopefully I get this right:

Regarding steam operation, yes it has happened over the years. Initially, 2 HELCO (Hartford Electric Light Co) 0-4-0's 3 and 5 did the honors. 3 wasn't used for very long. 5 was used for awhile. There is a postcard shot of 5 under steam with Philadelphia and Reading coach 940. All fell into dissuse and were stored. There were "plans" to bring 5 back (after the Climax was done) but that fell through. When the steam department was dissolved (late 1990's (?) 3 and 5 were sold to a private collection. I believe the Stanley Works fireless 0-4-0 went with the group too. (But I could be wrong). Coach 940 is still there, covered in tarps and clapboard.

In addition Moore Keppel Climax 3 was on the property. The Climax was restored to operation during the 1980s/90s and used quite a bit on special Railfan Weekends totting a tank car, converted flatcar with benches, an elevated EL car, and a Reading/Conrail caboose. Two former Bangor and Aroostook cars were acquired with plans to restore, but that didn't materialize and they were later sold to Strasburg (?). The Climax itself was later sold to the Durbin Valley group. I believe this was done to help pay for the Visitors Center and because of the lack of personnel in the Steam dept. Too bad as people from miles around flocked to see that engine run.

At some point a decision was made to concentrate on Electric operation (late 1980s/90s).

I might add, since the musuem and CT Chapter of the NRHS has it's origins in the 1940's over the years members have migrating to other groups such as the Essex Steam Train and the early CVRM (I dare say- will probably get an evil eye from Thomaston!).

The steam department was a very dedicated group when it was in existance.

Of course there is always "more to the story" personnel wise, but I'm not going touching that as I wasn't there.

Disclaimor: All above are my views and I apologize if in error. I do not represent the CTM in any manner.
 #848568  by Otto Vondrak

Why would I go to a trolley museum to see steam engines run? CTM made the right move to dispose of the steam and focus on electrics.

-otto-
 #848582  by 3rdrail

I'm sure that CTM did make the right decision due to conditions that existed. However, if conditions were right, I don't see a clash between the co-existence of electric and steam. Electric and diesel, yes, but not electric and steam. The two happily co-existed, often teaming up to support one another, such as in the case of #16's duties up at the Springfield Terminal Railway. A museum that had working trolleys and steam locomotives, would, I believe be unique, and as such might attract a larger draw. The other side of the coin is that there would have to be sufficient resources for both to exist, such as money, know-how, personnel to specialize in each's restoration and upkeep, space, and available equipment. As I write this, I'm visualizing a "Springfield Day" where you ride a steamer, get off at the station, board #16 as milk and other passengers transfer, and then wisk off in a rural environment to a quaint villiage somewhere. Hell, I might get off and never come back !
 #848591  by RonM

Please.. Try to to remember the Warehouse Point Trolley musuem (later CTM) steam operations began BEFORE Nelson Blount -> Steamtown / Essex Steam Train. The Climax was late 1980s/90s and DID draw interest which the musuem needed.

Regarding diesel... well there is a 25 tonner used quite a bit and a former USA 44 Tonner (stored) as well as a former CT Company box motor (stored). It's not that bad.
 #848824  by Otto Vondrak

I'll go to a "transportation museum" or a "railroad museum" if I want to see steam, diesel, and electric operations at one venue. But a "trolley museum" should focus on it's core mission of electric trains. Say what you are. Do what you say you are. Don't try to be everything to everyone.
 #850777  by Mr rt

Otto, "why would I go to a trolley museum to ride a steam engine"
You have to roll the video tape back to the 1940s.
The Point, Branford & Seashore were the first three to start up operations.
The Point thought it's mission was to preserve mass transit ... just what IRM is doing !
Again rolling the video tape back then ... thousands & thousands of visitors & hundereds of visitors gave them the idea that they could do it. Today those thousands are planted 6' under ... Model RxR shops are also a thing of the past, some have added other products (planes, boats, cars) & are hanging on.

3rdRail,
- Springfield Term #16 ... the last time I was there (in August) I got to operate 16. Because of her 1/2 pass 1/2 freight config. she tends to come out Summer week-days when business is lighter.
- RIO 1850 ... I include comments about the "Girl from Ipanema" every time I talk about the car. Once a charter of seniors arrived, including a woman I knew from Haddam Neck. She has always been a good sport, so I included her in my tour, e.g. this car was made in 1914, two years after Mary Jane was born ... Mary Jane is so old she used to go dancing with the Girl from Ipanema ... etc. I got a little worried that the group was laughing so much that they were going to fall out of this open car :-)
 #850879  by RonM

Even later on - not just any steam engine but a Climax. Only other one (in this area) was Clarks in NH excluding the one at Edaville, Mason Lumber 4 (?) which was a display. When the Climax ran at CTM - that partking lot was FULL!
 #850908  by 3rdrail

RonM wrote:Even later on - not just any steam engine but a Climax. Only other one (in this area) was Clarks in NH excluding the one at Edaville, Mason Lumber 4 (?) which was a display. When the Climax ran at CTM - that partking lot was FULL!
Yup, I'm sure that it was. I think that it's a wonderful combination. I think also that such a combination is great protection against the phenomenon of "same old". Not to knock the wonderful collections in the various museums, but after a while you get used to them and the "thrill is gone" (to quote B.B.King) - well not quite, but you know what I mean. This way, with two forms of railway vehicles, an expanded and diverse platform is presented.