Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#838103  by Roadgeek Adam

I have a meeting in NYC at 7 pm tomorrow in Brooklyn and being I don't drive, I am looking for photographing whichever would be the better investment. Now, my only LIRR station, Hunterspoint Avenue was easy from a subway station. Which would be preferrable? I have to be at the NYC Transit Museum between 2 - 4 and have the meeting after. Suggestions?
 #838160  by Otto Vondrak

Roadgeek Adam wrote:I have a meeting in NYC at 7 pm tomorrow in Brooklyn and being I don't drive, I am looking for photographing whichever would be the better investment. Now, my only LIRR station, Hunterspoint Avenue was easy from a subway station. Which would be preferrable? I have to be at the NYC Transit Museum between 2 - 4 and have the meeting after. Suggestions?
So what you are saying is you are looking for a good railfanning location to kill three hours in Brooklyn?
 #838182  by Roadgeek Adam

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:I have a meeting in NYC at 7 pm tomorrow in Brooklyn and being I don't drive, I am looking for photographing whichever would be the better investment. Now, my only LIRR station, Hunterspoint Avenue was easy from a subway station. Which would be preferrable? I have to be at the NYC Transit Museum between 2 - 4 and have the meeting after. Suggestions?
So what you are saying is you are looking for a good railfanning location to kill three hours in Brooklyn?

Yeah, but more than 1 station of course. I want to start greatly expanding mileage. (I don't drive, so normally someone is with me)
 #838293  by Otto Vondrak

Are you asking for good subway stations to visit to see trains? Are you driving or traveling by subway to each location?

The above-ground stations are better for photography. You can easily kill some time by taking a subway into New York, transferring to the No. 7, riding out to Shea Stadium and back.
 #839926  by jonnhrr

Since you will be at the Transit Museum you could ride out to Coney Island, lots of above ground stations on the B/Q (Brighton line) and D (West End) especially. And of course Stillwell Ave.

Jon
 #839969  by Roadgeek Adam

jonnhrr wrote:Since you will be at the Transit Museum you could ride out to Coney Island, lots of above ground stations on the B/Q (Brighton line) and D (West End) especially. And of course Stillwell Ave.

Jon
Heh actually things got changed. I saw Atlantic Terminal, the Transit Museum and a few stations on the Q. I will note for the future, and Otto, I meant LIRR more mainly.
 #840309  by darthdoosh

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
jonnhrr wrote:Since you will be at the Transit Museum you could ride out to Coney Island, lots of above ground stations on the B/Q (Brighton line) and D (West End) especially. And of course Stillwell Ave.

Jon
Heh actually things got changed. I saw Atlantic Terminal, the Transit Museum and a few stations on the Q. I will note for the future, and Otto, I meant LIRR more mainly.
Pretty much the only LIRR you're gonna get in Brooklyn is Flatbu... Ahem, Atlantic Terminal and the viaduct over Atlantic Ave. There is also the Vanderbuilt yard, but I'm not sure of it's exact location as far as where you could capture a good photo. It's near Atlantic terminal, obviously. In the future if you have some extra time and money, take a ride from AT to Jamaica and back. There's the abandoned Woodhaven station which I find to be of interest... If you're lucky enough to get an M3, you can easily see it out the front window between ENY and Jamaica. You'll also pass the employee only stop Boland's Landing and various facilities west of Jamaica that you really don't get to see when riding out to NYP.

( http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abando ... haven.html )

Apologies for straying away from the subway topic-wise.
 #844173  by Robert Paniagua

Or on board a BMT Coulver Line RROW Train better known as the (F) Line and go up to the head car and if your camera can also do movies, you can go up to the motorperson cab access door, and take a movie clip out through the railfan window (as long as it's not covered with newspaper clippings or ads) and you'll get a cool view out the front. Same thing going down the Rockaway Right of way