Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#701072  by brward

I am currently writing an extensive piece on the Cherry Valley Branch as it is now. Through satellite imagery, topographs, landowner permission and cooperative weather, I have managed to cover the line. Along the way I have uncovered surprises as well as more questions. So, for some historical accuracy could someone concur that the following info is correct: Timeline of the branch: 1860 Cherry Valley & Sprakers RR - 1864 CV & Mohawk River RR - 1869 CV, Sharon & Albany RR - 1908 D&H CV Branch - August 17 1956 Last run.

Upon exploring, I came across the dry laid stone abutments of the rumoured timber trestle just east of the CV Spring Water building. With permission from the landowner I set out to find them. Back a few years I heard about this and finally confirmed that it did exist. Judging by the depth of the valley it was between 80 - 100 feet at its tallest and maybe 600 - 1000 ft long. It is hard to judge because of the growth of trees. Aside from a few, most of the abutments are in very good shape with both approaches visible. Does anyone have info on this? I can only guess at its age guessing it was from the original line because the ROW is the CV Water plant's driveway. Thank you to anyone who can shed some info on this line.
-Brian
 #911341  by brward

Research is slow going but it is going. There is one question I hope someone can answer for me and will give me a new direction for some answers. What are the bridge numbers for the Cherry Valley Branch? I have found the 60 foot lattice deck by Hyndsville to be number 24 1/2. Also I have uncovered the bridge numbers 21 1/2, 22 1/2 and 26 1/2 without their respective locales. If someone could give me the numbers or at least how the numbers ran (from Cobleskill to Cherry Valley or Cherry Valley to Cobleskill ascending or descending from what point). Many thanks to anyone for an answer or at least a point in the right direction.
-Brian
 #930411  by brward

I came across an article dated from 1916 that a 24 lever interlocking plant was to be built and operational by October 1 1916 at the junction with the Cherry Valley Branch. Can anyone give some insight into this? Many thanks in advance.
-Brian
 #944892  by Mem160

So where do you stand with the progress on this project? Are you looking to make it an articale in a magazine or an actual book? What's the timetable?
Wish I could help, good luck.....

- Mark
 #945694  by brward

Mark,
I am thick in the research. There are a few projects tied to my research. One is a chapter in my next Trainworks book about the entire line in its present form. Written in the railroad archaeological perspective. My team and I have covered the line from CV to the junction extensively compiling tons of photos. The second is compiling historical data such as specs on ROW, structures, trains and interviews to be included in a historical and fact based book dedicated solely to the line entire. This one is going to take awhile, I have yet to acquire the ICC maps which are a big part of the base for my information. The third is a presentation I should be doing for the historical society soon. When I first started I had very little to go on now that the floodgates have opened my research and the fruits from it have increased dramatically. Just a matter of time. Look for Trainworks 2 towards the end of next year. Thanks for the interest!
-Brian
 #946081  by Mem160

Brian,

Have you been able to obtain any photos from the line while it was still active? Maybe I already asked you that, but I don't remember.

I understand there are pictures available in the New York State Archives in Cooperstown, near the Farmer's Museum? Maybe someone else here can give you more details. I've never had the opportunity to get specifically up there, as I am from Long Island. Is there anything of interest really left up there, other than the bridge crossing Route 20? Bridge abutments? When I was a kid, my Dad owned a house on Slate Hill Road and 165 in Seward, next to the Hotel, now bed and breakfast, and diagonally across from the passenger station. I have one document which might be of interest. If I can find it and you can PM me I'll gladly send you a scan.....

- Mark
 #946149  by ladder2

See the additional information discussed under the Cobleskill Industries of a few years ago, It may help in your current pursuit.
 #946448  by brward

Mark,

What pictures I have of the line when it was active are in other books and some from the CV Historical Society. I am concentrating on the chapter in Trainworks 2 for now. After which I am going to go head first into the historical element, that being the CV Railroad book.

If you have a heavy interest in the line as I do, there are many spots to investigate other than the Route 20 bridge. Having landowner permission has made it even more satisfying. Knowing the history and stories of the line make researching it that more fulfilling. What does your document entail?

To answer ladder2, I read and put my two-cents into the Cobleskill thread. Not much there that was answered for me previously. But thanks for the heads up, always looking for info and of course pictures.

-Brian
 #946857  by Mem160

I have a photocopy of some kind of old map of Seward. I do not know if it's an old deed or what.....I scanned it last night, though, if you want a copy. It is labelled D&H RR Real Estate Dept. or something to that effect. It is an old copy, but I am familiar with the area, from going up there so often so many years ago. It show the Station, and the map goes south to about the area of the Highway Dept. Garage. Remember, this was actually a sewer 30 years ago when i remember it. Now, this map appears to be prior to NYS RT165 being built, as I believe that may have been built after the tracks were ripped up. Maybe you can clear that up. In other words, I don't believe that RT 165 ever crossed the tracks. There was a siding there, on the west side, so had 165 been there, it would have crossed 2 tracks. It appears that Slate Hill Rd was in place, as it does show a roadway parallel to the east side of the tracks. Let me see if I can upload it as an attachment here. Some time ago, I can't recall when and where though, there was a map of Cherry Valley Yard. I HAD saved it, but I believe it to be forever gone in a PC crash. No, not Penn Central.....
 #946858  by Mem160

This is the best I can do for right now.

*Sorry I can't figure it out, I'll have to PM it to you and maybe you know how to upload it. I sent it to your trainworks site, best I can do.
 #968932  by Mem160

I've always wondered what the physical characteristics of this branch were like, specifically within the last 10 years of it's existence. Had the ROW been taken care of? Was the roadbed properly ballasted and maintained, or was the bulk of the trackage overgrown with weeds and grass, etc..... Were the bridges and trestles of the wooden variety or were they steel girders..... Did RTE 165 cross the tracks (two tracks) in Seward, or was 165 built after the removal of the tracks.....blacktop grade crossings or timber..... Would love to have seen the grade crossing at Sharon across RTE 20, but was RTE 20 four lanes there at that time or was it widened after the track removal..... It would be very interesting to see photos of these type towards the end of the branches existence.....

----> Mark