Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#832132  by CleanCab_108

Guys,

Looking to do my yearly NYC Subway Line trip. This year I am looking to do a line that will definitely bring me over one of the bridges. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

cleancab_108
 #832222  by Fan Railer

the A to far rockaway takes you over the Jamaica bay bridges so that would be a nice place to railfan out to also. all the IRT (number lines) lines in the bronx are elevated.
 #832225  by jaystreetcrr

Are you talking about the East River bridges? The J and M over the Williamsburg bridge is a nice ride and then those lines stay above ground in Brooklyn. The Manhattan bridge lines go right back underground until they get way out in Brooklyn. I don't think a circle route over both bridges would be easy on the Brooklyn end, probably involving the G train and some walking.
 #832285  by CleanCab_108

I am talking about the east river bridges, sorry for not including that in my post. I actually did the "A" Apple Train out to the Rockaways for my first trip and it was awesome. So I am thinking the "J" and the "M" will be my best bet.
 #832310  by Fan Railer

CleanCab_108 wrote:I am talking about the east river bridges, sorry for not including that in my post. I actually did the "A" Apple Train out to the Rockaways for my first trip and it was awesome. So I am thinking the "J" and the "M" will be my best bet.
nice XD. hmm well if you're planning to fan the J/M/Z, i would say it's worth waiting for an R42, as those cars are rare now, compared to the newer R160's which dominate those lines. check on wikipedia if your not familiar with the cartypes ;)
 #832367  by Tony Clifton

Plus trains on bridges are so slow, even the mode of transportation I hate, buses, is faster over bridges in certain, but not all cases.
 #833045  by jaystreetcrr

I forgot about the Queensboro. You could take the J out to Jamaica then double back and get to one of the lines that goes over that bridge, or do the Manhattan and Queensboro on either end of a ride through Manhattan. I don't know about the Qboro but the Manhattan and Williamsburg bridges have pedestrian paths that make for great train watching and the bridges really bounce when trains pass, especially the Manhattan. Train one way, walk back?
The F line gets way above ground on the Culver Viaduct for two stations, Smith and 9th and 4th Ave. 9th, then back underground, then elevated all the way to Coney Island after Church Ave. Maybe do that one way then back over the Manhattan Bridge on the Q.
 #833063  by Kamen Rider

no rail lnes have crossed tthe queensboro in half a century
 #833464  by Head-end View

I agree; any of the routes over the Manhattan and Williamsburg Bridges are interesting and BTW the reason to wait for an R-42 type train is that you can see out the front, which unfortunately has become a rarity these days. Although you can see thru the cab of R-160's outside the tunnels in daylight! And yes, the Smith-9th St. viaduct is well worth checking out for its spectacular view of the the city. Or it would be if the windows were clean...... :(
 #834239  by jaystreetcrr

My mistake about the Queensboro...I never get up that way yery much and was just looking at a map. I wondered why I never got a bridge ride on the few times I've ridden the N to Queens.
 #834281  by Head-end View

Oh, so you wondered about that (chuckle!)? When you came out of the tunnel and climbed one of the steepest grades in the system up to the Queensboro Plaza Station, that didn't clue you in? :-D
 #835777  by Patrick Boylan

When rail lines did cross the Queensboro bridge were they subway or streetcar? I thought they were streetcars on dedicated right of way.
 #835786  by Kamen Rider

The outer lanes queens bound and the walkway on the north side were the streetcar lines. The Second Ave El crossed on the upper level.