Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#821988  by illinidorry

Yesterday I got into the Atlantic-Pacific stop on the N and transferred to an R to get to my Lawrence St. destination. As I get on the R and sit down a 3 train comes down the track on the N line and although I didnt see the front it had a green "10" on the end car and "3" on the side of every car. Anyone know what they were doing?
 #822297  by Kamen Rider

the R62s are in the prosses of getting thier SMS work done at Coney Island.
 #822335  by illinidorry

Ohhhh....so I guess they have no problems fitting on the N line? Any reason the train might have a green 10? Just cause its on the rollsign and someone may have selected it?
 #822430  by railfan365

illinidorry wrote:Ohhhh....so I guess they have no problems fitting on the N line? Any reason the train might have a green 10? Just cause its on the rollsign and someone may have selected it?

B division cars can't fit into A divisoin stations and tunnels - they're too wide. However, A division cars can fit anywhere in the system due to being narrow enough. Just so long as they aren't used to make revenue passenger sotps in B territory due to how wide the gap would be.

As to the green 10 that you saw, I have no informaiotn on that whatsoever.
 #823405  by Trainmaster5

The train was on it's way to Coney Island yard as stated. The roll signs on R62 and R62A cars have many unused numbers. IIRC 10,11,and 12 are green, to be used on different variations of Lexington Ave service. There are also purple numbers for the Flushing line services. I'm guessing that someone was trying to show the "not in service" bullet, or a blank display and the roll got stuck at 11. I think B division roll signs have unused letters on some of the roll signs also.
 #826659  by illinidorry

Trainmaster5 wrote:The train was on it's way to Coney Island yard as stated. The roll signs on R62 and R62A cars have many unused numbers. IIRC 10,11,and 12 are green, to be used on different variations of Lexington Ave service. There are also purple numbers for the Flushing line services. I'm guessing that someone was trying to show the "not in service" bullet, or a blank display and the roll got stuck at 11. I think B division roll signs have unused letters on some of the roll signs also.
Thanks, I figured that was most likely the case but with all the crazy things the MTA is doing these days maybe they had some kinda experiment in the works.