Railroad Forums 

• Perth Amboy High Level Platforms

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#818289  by Roadgeek Adam

Well, this was coming, but now every station south of Rahway to Middletown will have high-level platforms. Perth Amboy will be getting its soon. This is prelim design, but still postable since its NJ Transit news.

http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet. ... SE_ID=2606

http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.ssf/ ... perth.html
 #818308  by Jtgshu

Well thats good to hear - HOPEFULLY NJT plans for the future and they decide to make a center platform, push it over to the side a little bit, so another track can be run through there. Ideally 2 high level platforms on the outside where the platforms were when it was 4 tracks would be best (IMO of course) and a third track placed inbetween that doesn't have a platform track (around where current track 2 is) would be great. For the time being, build the platforms on the outside and swing teh tracks out to meet the platforms, ala cranford, and build a 3rd track sooner or later.

I just hope they don't plop two platforms right where the current low level platforms are as it would totally kill any chance for 3 tracks through there, like NJT did in Westfield and Plainfield on RVL.

Three tracks would be very useful through there and a few other places on the Coast Line.

Also it would be every station from NY to Red Bank with high levels - the only low levels east of Long Branch would be Monmouth Park and Little Silver (which should be combined into a year round, high level, park and ride station at Monmouth Park and LS closed but thats another topic for another thread.........)
 #818317  by Roadgeek Adam

Jtgshu wrote: Also it would be every station from NY to Red Bank with high levels - the only low levels east of Long Branch would be Monmouth Park and Little Silver (which should be combined into a year round, high level, park and ride station at Monmouth Park and LS closed but thats another topic for another thread.........)
Yeah, minor brain fart on my part, for some reason I was thinking Red Bank was after Little Silver, but whoops. I like the high level platforms and Perth Amboy is more than wide enough to allow room, because we have 2 sets of platforms left on at least the NB side.

Anyway, I would be content with Monmouth Park having a normal two-platforms and made of actual asphalt, but yes, for another thread.
 #818458  by sixty-six

Jtgshu wrote:Well thats good to hear - HOPEFULLY NJT plans for the future and they decide to make a center platform, push it over to the side a little bit, so another track can be run through there. Ideally 2 high level platforms on the outside where the platforms were when it was 4 tracks would be best (IMO of course) and a third track placed inbetween that doesn't have a platform track (around where current track 2 is) would be great. For the time being, build the platforms on the outside and swing teh tracks out to meet the platforms, ala cranford, and build a 3rd track sooner or later.

I just hope they don't plop two platforms right where the current low level platforms are as it would totally kill any chance for 3 tracks through there, like NJT did in Westfield and Plainfield on RVL.

Three tracks would be very useful through there and a few other places on the Coast Line.

Also it would be every station from NY to Red Bank with high levels - the only low levels east of Long Branch would be Monmouth Park and Little Silver (which should be combined into a year round, high level, park and ride station at Monmouth Park and LS closed but thats another topic for another thread.........)
Jt, where would the 3 tracks start and end? There doesn't seem to be much room for expansion as you can't widen River draw nor is it easy to widen the RoW at Woodbridge. I'm not sure of the original configuration, though, so there may very well be something I'm not seeing.

Adam, where is your avatar from?
 #818477  by mrsam

jimzim66 wrote:Jt, where would the 3 tracks start and end?
When the Ramsey station was built, one of the tracks was shifted over. There's a big, gaping space between the tracks at Ramsey, waiting for the middle track to be built, at some point in the future.

Even if the third track ends just before and after the station, it would allow a South Amboy local to stop at the station while an express passes by, for example.

But from reading the press release, there's no mention of reconfiguring the tracks there, just rebuilding the platforms.
 #818480  by Jtgshu

jimzim66 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Well thats good to hear - HOPEFULLY NJT plans for the future and they decide to make a center platform, push it over to the side a little bit, so another track can be run through there. Ideally 2 high level platforms on the outside where the platforms were when it was 4 tracks would be best (IMO of course) and a third track placed inbetween that doesn't have a platform track (around where current track 2 is) would be great. For the time being, build the platforms on the outside and swing teh tracks out to meet the platforms, ala cranford, and build a 3rd track sooner or later.

Jt, where would the 3 tracks start and end? There doesn't seem to be much room for expansion as you can't widen River draw nor is it easy to widen the RoW at Woodbridge. I'm not sure of the original configuration, though, so there may very well be something I'm not seeing.

Adam, where is your avatar from?
The 3rd track would start at River, and continue up to Wood - the bridge from the flyunder still exists on the Chemical Coast, or they could just have a regular switch on the east end of the interlocking. The PA Industral and the Chemical Coast third track there would basically be the main, and the switches for those would just come off of it, as they did in teh past. Remember, it was 4 tracks through there back in the CNJ/PRR days - the inner tracks were the CNJ tracks, the outer the PRR tracks. the CNJ didn't realy stop at PA, while the PRR did

It would be a great area for locals to overtake expresses, most of which don't stop at Perth Amboy anyway. It would be like almost a 2 mile long siding, but would work well because it would allow trains to leapfrog each other before getting to River or up to the elevated part east of the Wood.
 #818538  by Roadgeek Adam

jimzim66 wrote: Adam, where is your avatar from?

North Newark station site. Its right near the westbound plaform. There is a gooseneck light there as well: See here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadgeek/s ... 03/detail/
 #818544  by cruiser939

Jtgshu wrote:The 3rd track would start at River, and continue up to Wood - the bridge from the flyunder still exists on the Chemical Coast, or they could just have a regular switch on the east end of the interlocking. The PA Industral and the Chemical Coast third track there would basically be the main, and the switches for those would just come off of it, as they did in teh past. Remember, it was 4 tracks through there back in the CNJ/PRR days - the inner tracks were the CNJ tracks, the outer the PRR tracks. the CNJ didn't realy stop at PA, while the PRR did
Pet peeve time... there's no such thing as a fly under; it's either a fly over or duck under. :wink:
Jtgshu wrote:It would be a great area for locals to overtake expresses, most of which don't stop at Perth Amboy anyway. It would be like almost a 2 mile long siding, but would work well because it would allow trains to leapfrog each other before getting to River or up to the elevated part east of the Wood.
Locals over taking expresses? This isn't the NEC we're talking about JT. :P
 #818583  by Sirsonic

jimzim66 wrote:Adam, where is your avatar from?
8 miles from Jersey City... :-D

Sorry, I had to.
 #818587  by sixty-six

Sirsonic wrote:

Sorry, I had to.
I saw that coming, haha.
 #818675  by Passaic River Rat

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Well, this was coming, but now every station south of Rahway to Middletown will have high-level platforms. Perth Amboy will be getting its soon. This is prelim design, but still postable since its NJ Transit news.

http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet. ... SE_ID=2606

http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.ssf/ ... perth.html
This project would be nice if:
1) I wasn't paying for it
2) NJT wasn't making due with the existing station.

The design alone will be $1,000,000. How about this: pay me $100,000 a year for the next ten years, and I will drive anyone within 5 miles of Perth Amboy to Woodbridge and be done with it. I'll even drive them back to Perth Amboy from Woodbridge.
 #818753  by amtrakowitz

Jtgshu wrote:It would be a great area for locals to overtake expresses, most of which don't stop at Perth Amboy anyway
Exactly what year did they remove the local tracks at Perth Amboy, anyway? Used to be four tracks through the station. If things had stayed that way, it would have been far easier to build the high platforms, it seems to me.

#818773  by TDowling

Sirsonic wrote:

Sorry, I had to.
So that's what JC stands for!
 #819155  by E-44

Jtgshu wrote:
Remember, it was 4 tracks through there back in the CNJ/PRR days - the inner tracks were the CNJ tracks, the outer the PRR tracks. the CNJ didn't realy stop at PA, while the PRR did

It would be a great area for locals to overtake expresses, most of which don't stop at Perth Amboy anyway. It would be like almost a 2 mile long siding, but would work well because it would allow trains to leapfrog each other before getting to River or up to the elevated part east of the Wood.
JT, I seem to recall that it was the other way around, with CNJ running on the outside and PRR on the inside, at least when CNJ pax service still ran through to Jersey City. I recall as a kid having to step across the outer track to climb up on the P70s and MP54s.

At some point in the '60's when CNJ no longer stopped in Perth Amboy, the gauge on the outer tracks was filled with asphalt to help people cross without tripping.
 #819201  by Jtgshu

While creeping down a the Coast Line tonight following a delayed "express" ahead of me, I was thinking how horrendous the scehdules sometimes are on the Coast Line.....

But as cruiser said, "its not the NEC"....so that means its basically a one way road. It might as well be 251 from Graw to Bay Head....