Railroad Forums 

• Upgrading to DSLR from Canon Powershot G6

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#790404  by Don_

I have been using the Canon Powershot G6 for railfan photography but am tiring of its limitations such as poor low-light photographing abilities and softness in crops. Lately, I've been shooting rail photos only in RAW.

I'm looking into DSLRS.

I was considering the higher-end entry level Canon EOS Rebel T1i, but after reading a review at Cameralabs.com,
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... dict.shtml
it appears the mid-range Rebel, the XSi would work as well for me and at a better price.
So you should really only choose the 500D / T1i over the 450D / XSi if you’re either coupling it with decent lenses, or value its new features, like the HD Movies and VGA screen. If you’re not bothered by the movies or screen and intend to use the kit lens, then save yourself some money and go for the older 450D / XSi. It remains an excellent DSLR which is likely to fall in price further as stocks last.
The Rebel Xs I assume would be good but the XSi has more pixels, a bigger screen, live view and some other features.

What experiences have others had converting from Powershots to DSLRs?
 #790780  by charlie6017

Well, I can't tell ya much of anything about the Powershot camera (or any other "point and shoot" cam for that matter), but I can tell you that I just picked up a Canon Xsi just yesterday and just took my first shots today. Nice and fast, very responsive. I got it at Best Buy and it was the last one there, the display model, but unused----thus a $100 discount (from $649 to $549) and it came with the basic zoom.

Canon is discontinuing this model and replacing with the "Canon Rebel T2i/EOS 550D", so if you want the Xsi you may want to move quickly.

Good luck----so far so good with the Xsi.

Charlie
 #791147  by Don_

Thanks for the input. The 28-55 mm kit lens, how well does that work?

I see digital lenses are expensive, so I plan to buy that FD lens converter and try to use some of my older 80-300mm zoom, 50mm and 28mm lenses I used with my film SLR AE-1.
 #791152  by charlie6017

Don_ wrote:Thanks for the input. The 28-55 mm kit lens, how well does that work?

I see digital lenses are expensive, so I plan to buy that FD lens converter and try to use some of my older 80-300mm zoom, 50mm and 28mm lenses I used with my film SLR AE-1.
The 28-55 lens is "all-right", but I want to upgrade most definitely. The thing I was told about the 55-250 lens is that it comes with photo stabilization, which is a must-have for me. Of course I could use my tripod, but it's easier to just "take-aim", especially when surprised by a train. :-D

Charlie
 #792143  by dj_paige

charlie6017 wrote:
Don_ wrote:Thanks for the input. The 28-55 mm kit lens, how well does that work?

The 28-55 lens is "all-right", but I want to upgrade most definitely. The thing I was told about the 55-250 lens is that it comes with photo stabilization, which is a must-have for me. Of course I could use my tripod, but it's easier to just "take-aim", especially when surprised by a train. :-D

Charlie
I thought "photo stabilization" was only helpful at very slow shutter speeds, such as 1/60 sec and slower. And so I thought that the normal shutter speeds at which you shoot train photos wouldn't benefit from this feature.
 #792179  by charlie6017

dj_paige wrote:I thought "photo stabilization" was only helpful at very slow shutter speeds, such as 1/60 sec and slower. And so I thought that the normal shutter speeds at which you shoot train photos wouldn't benefit from this feature.
You're certainly probably right..........to be quite honest, I am a complete novice with photography and have lots of learning ahead of me with this camera I just bought (Canon EOS XSi). Previously, I was a video guy but have shifted gears. :-)

Charlie
 #792463  by MEC407

Yes and no. Image stabilization can be useful at higher shutter speeds as well. It depends on the focal length of the lens you're using. For instance, if you're using a 300mm lens handheld, you would need a shutter speed of at least 1/300 (or preferably higher) in order to get a shot that is not affected by camera shake. But if you don't have enough light to shoot at 1/300, image stabilization would allow you to shoot at a lower speed -- 1/100, for instance -- and still get a sharp shot. Just keep in mind that image stabilization will not control the motion of your subject; it only helps control your own motion (camera shake).
 #793855  by Plate F

I own an XSi and I am quite happy with it. I have used an XS but I felt the the XSi was more responsive. If you want the video capability, the T1i is good, but if you use auto focus, you will get motor noise and it will not allow you to use an external mic. The T2i has a jack for external microphone. The XSi is basically a smaller brother of the T1i, with many similar features.
 #797107  by trainiac

If I were in the market for a new camera, I would get a Canon XSi without hesitation--but I already have the XSi's older sibling, the XTi. I purchased it in late 2007 after years of using a film SLR. The XTi is a reliable, responsive and flexible camera that I've used for more than 10,300 photos so far, and from what I've heard the XSi is all of the same with a few added features.
 #847434  by LNJ614

You may want to look at Canon t2i . Which I own. It is a fantastic little camera. Also you may want to look at the nikon D5000 or the soon to be released Nikon d3100. Just my 2 cents worth. Larry
 #1032573  by MEC407

MR77100, can you give us some details on what kind of photography you're doing, what existing equipment you have (if any), what your budget is, etc.? Sony makes dozens of cameras and it's impossible to recommend one without knowing more info.
 #1032591  by MR77100

MEC407 wrote:MR77100, can you give us some details on what kind of photography you're doing, what existing equipment you have (if any), what your budget is, etc.? Sony makes dozens of cameras and it's impossible to recommend one without knowing more info.
I will be doing still photography of signals and roster shots, as well as shots of moving trains. The only have a Fujifilm A220 pocket-sized point-and-shoot camera. My budget is about $300.
 #1032600  by MEC407

OK, this information helps a lot. I just have a couple more questions. Are you looking for a DSLR? (I assumed you were, since this thread is about upgrading to a DSLR from a point-and-shoot.) Are you open to brands other than Sony?
 #1032649  by MR77100

MEC407 wrote:OK, this information helps a lot. I just have a couple more questions. Are you looking for a DSLR? (I assumed you were, since this thread is about upgrading to a DSLR from a point-and-shoot.) Are you open to brands other than Sony?
Yes I am looking for a DSLR. I am open to Olympus and Canon.