Railroad Forums 

• Early Santa Fe Diesels

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#793075  by Noel Weaver

I believe they are very early diesel/electric units used on the Santa Fe.
Noel Weaver
 #793088  by eddiebehr

Those units broke in on conventional Santa Fe trains and then hauled the Super Chief until E-units arrived. The units got Warbonnet paint and fake noses and pulled other Santa Fe trains into the post-World War II years.
 #793136  by Otto Vondrak

MikeVT wrote:Can anyone tell me what these are

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00001086+OP-1086

Whoops, maybe you meant to post this in Western Railfan Forum?
 #793333  by cogger

Phew! Thanks Otto. I thought maybe these were headed to Conway too!
 #793502  by atsf sp

This would be a EMD boxcab, ATSF 1A and 1B. These pulled the first run of the Super Chief because the E1's originally planned to pull the super chief broke a few days earlier. These were built in 1935. here is a wiki site for boxcabs and scroll down to read all about the ATSF pair. There is also the pic in question. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMC_1800_hp_B-B
 #793695  by SSW9389

They were known as Amos and Andy from the radio show of the day. :wink:

After several rebuildings they were traded in on two E8Bm units in 1952-53.

Ed
 #1318602  by SSW9389

What electrical gear was installed in these units when they were built?
 #1321521  by riffian

"Amos and Andy" were delivered in August, 1935. Winton diesel, GE electrical gear and assembled at the St Louis Car Company plant.