Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#787512  by mkouassi

Has everyone ever saw a PATH K-Class car 1243 while going to NWK-WTC at both directions?
 #788542  by mkouassi

This work train is at the rear of the harrison yard by the rest of the work equipment
 #1264282  by philipmartin

If your are going to post a picture of a K car, I would appreciate one with a nice, red, keystone on the front; one with the letters PRR on it.
 #1264331  by R36 Combine Coach

philipmartin wrote:If your are going to post a picture of a K car, I would appreciate one with a nice, red, keystone on the front; one with the letters PRR on it.
Or one with a pentastar ornament.

Back to 1243: scrapped in 2011 with the delivery of the PA5s.
 #1264335  by philipmartin

http://www.njerhs.org/OldSite/kcars/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here are pictures of K cars, picked from the North Jersey Electric Railway Historical Society. The information at the bottom talks about a wreck at Harrison. When I was working PC towers in the 1970s, I heard about a wreck some time before, caused by the operator at Hudson. It was at night, a drill was crossing onto the freight tracks between the PRR and the Lackawanna I think, but was fowling the H&M tracks. The switch was a rusty rail when reversed and interlocking circuits showed the drill clear. The operator did not want to delay the H&M so, rather than wait for the drill to get on the wayside phone to report clear of the rusty rail, he normalled it and gave the H&M train the railroad. This may be the wreck referred to.
Last edited by philipmartin on Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
 #1264414  by philipmartin

The K cars, although shorter, resembled contemporary IRT cars, the Redbirds for instance.
 #1264429  by philipmartin

[quote="R36 Combine Coach"Official tech drawings can be found here.[/quote]

I also looked at drawings of PRR locomotives, some with small photos, here. Thank you.