Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#774321  by Ocala Mike

n2cbo wrote:
zablocki22 wrote:

It looked like an old station that had "Roosevelt" on the columns. Was that a movie set or was it the abandoned Roosevelt Avenue Terminal Station?
zablocki22 wrote:
Does anyone know the answer to this? I say it was the old abandoned station in Queens. Anyway, I just saw the film today, and there are dozens of goofs in it, especially concerning the geography of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel and the derelict Roosevelt spur which, of course, has nothing to do with the NYC subway system I posted something on imdb under "goofs."
 #774370  by n2cbo

Ocala Mike wrote:
n2cbo wrote:

It looked like an old station that had "Roosevelt" on the columns. Was that a movie set or was it the abandoned Roosevelt Avenue Terminal Station?

Does anyone know the answer to this? I say it was the old abandoned station in Queens. Anyway, I just saw the film today, and there are dozens of goofs in it, especially concerning the geography of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel and the derelict Roosevelt spur which, of course, has nothing to do with the NYC subway system I posted something on imdb under "goofs."

I am going to be involved in some RF engineering work in the underground portion of the system in the next couple of months. I'll ask around.
 #774905  by Kamen Rider

Ocala Mike wrote: Does anyone know the answer to this? I say it was the old abandoned station in Queens. Anyway, I just saw the film today, and there are dozens of goofs in it, especially concerning the geography of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel and the derelict Roosevelt spur which, of course, has nothing to do with the NYC subway system I posted something on imdb under "goofs."
That was goof supream. the director confused the GCT waldorf siding with the subway. the Roosevelt ave terminal is a storage room. The platform you see in the movie is one of the local tracks at Hoyt-Schermerhorn with a mock wall.
 #776840  by MNR's #1 Conductor

This movie was disastrous!!! I mean COME ON......

1). An R-142/142A cannot operate as a single car!!!!

2). I NEVER KNEW, in my whole 5 1/2 years as a conductor for NYCT, that is possible for the #6 Train, or any Lexington Avenue train for that matter, to go straight from the Lexington Avenue Line to Coney Island!!!!!! Especially waiting until a Lexington Avenue Line train, or in this case, "single R-142/142A car" from the Lexington Avenue Line, got all the way to Coney Island before using the trips on a red signal to put the train, or in this case, single car, into emergency, being they could have done that the second they realized the car was basically a runaway, no operator at the control, operating with the controller "rigged"!!!

3). In the scene where the train was entering 57th Street/7th Avenue (N/Q/R/W), and encountered signal problems, I was not aware that there was ANY portion of outside, outdoor running either north or south of 57th Street along the Broadway Line between 5th Avenue/59th Street and Canal Street!!!

4). At the "B" ends of R-142/142A cars, I never knew that there are marker lights!!!! :-p

5). Never knew that ANYONE in the Mayor's Office, including the Mayor himself, has the authority to tell a train crew or conductor what stops they are allowed to run and make or not!!!

6). Never knew that it is possible to uncouple ANY subway car, be it a married pair or ABBA or ABBBA set, from the "B" end of the car from a panel inside the car where any passenger basically can access and operate!!!

7). Never aware that the Rail Control Center could see and control the whole B Division as well, given that the B Division CTC displays and control system from the RCC is not online yet, and still is a little way off from being so, but the work is progressing.

8). Never aware a dispatcher assigned to the Lexington Avenue Line at the RCC can oversee and control the B Division BMT Broadway Line as well (refer to #3 above!!)

9). And this is the BIG one!!! That any NYC Subway car, especially the R-142/142A has "lefthand side", or in railroad terms, fireman side, operator controls!!!

This movie SUCKED!!! Not even actors the likes of Denzel Washington or John Travolta, could make this totally unrealistic farce of a movie good!! This movie was a bust!! Nothing will ever replace the original nor live up to it!!

Did I forget to mention that the NYCT Rail Control Center CANNOT at the present time yet, oversee the B Division (lettered lines), nor can someone working as a rail traffic controller on the Lexington Avenue Line call the shots and work the Broadway BMT Line as well!!!
Last edited by MNR's #1 Conductor on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #777825  by Tom6921

While I have the 1974 Pelham and 2009 Pelham on DVD, I have never seen the 1998 Pelham that was filmed in Toronto (my home city). I don't know if the 1998 Pelham was ever released onto DVD or not. Are there any websites that show screenshots/clips of the 1998 Pelham?
 #778023  by railfan365

Tom6921 wrote:I take it the real R142s can't run as single units.
That's right. They're buit into 5 car sets with a mixture of permanent and semi-permanent attachments within each set. Each end car had a full width motor cab at the end that might be the end of a train, with the other car ends within the group are open passenger space.
 #778216  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Tom6921 wrote:While I have the 1974 Pelham and 2009 Pelham on DVD, I have never seen the 1998 Pelham that was filmed in Toronto (my home city). I don't know if the 1998 Pelham was ever released onto DVD or not. Are there any websites that show screenshots/clips of the 1998 Pelham?
Believe me, man, you damn sure did not miss anything!! That remake was the biggest disgrace ever!! The 2009 one was better than that one!!

Some call the 1998 version "The Taking Of Bloor-Danforth 123" named for the line on the Toronto system a good deal of the movie was filed at, also filmed on the lower level of Bay Street Station, the only abandoned station in the Toronto system.
 #778287  by Tom6921

I'm only interested in "The Taking of Bloor-Danforth 123" because I'm a transitfan from Toronto and would like to see how the cars used (H-1s from TTC) looked compaired to New York trains.

I am currently writing a story that is the Toronto equivilent of Pelham called "The Taking of Run 23" in which an eastbound subway train on, yes, the Bloor-Danforth line gets hijacked. I've used elements from both 1974 and 2009 Pelhams and am using a train of T-1 subway cars as the hijack train. I have added a fifth hijacker to help compensate for the fact the TTC's subway trains run in sets of two. They move the passengers in the second car into the third before they seperate the first two cars. I have called the hijackers Teal, Gold, Yellow, Orange, and Beige. And the hero is named Robert Archer who is based on Denzel Washington's character in the 2009 Pelham.

As for the R142s/R142As, I guess it would be conceivable to seperate a five car set from the rest of a train. But hijackers would need a lot more gunmen. :wink:
 #778605  by Wallyhorse

Kamen Rider wrote:Just don't try to do aything with that, sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
That I agree. You have to be very careful with that.

Sounds like they really screwed up the runaway part at the end of the '09 version. Why not just have it like the original run to South Ferry, which apparently is what SHOULD have been done?