Railroad Forums 

• Military HUMMERs on Flat Cars In Wharton

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#751560  by biker

Did anyone else see the Humvees on TTX flat cars in Wharton today? There were 5 flat cars with 5 Humvees on each. Where would the M&E deliver these too??? If they are headed toward the ports, why weren't they just sent via NS over the Lehigh Valley or CNJ lines? Neat to see though.
 #751612  by NYS&W142Fan

Biker, the flats with the Hummers have been coming down from PA on the NS H02 run. There have been a number of flats that have come through Hackettstown. I have added a links to the forums where the discussion has been taking place. Some said that they were being unloaded? at the Jefferson Team track on the M&E and at Kenvil. Still trying to figure where they are going.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 45#p744530

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15#p748971
 #753223  by RS115

I noted over this past weekend that there were a number of flats with military vehicles on them stored in the new siding to the east of South Jefferson road. I couldn't get a count from the road but it was several cars.
 #753228  by blockline4180

RS115 wrote:I noted over this past weekend that there were a number of flats with military vehicles on them stored in the new siding to the east of South Jefferson road. I couldn't get a count from the road but it was several cars.
Yes, my father caught M&E (presumably 18) pulling the flats and military equipment, plus 2 tankers heading east through Mt. Tabor. He was shocked to see this.

Anyone know how long these shipments will last?? Thought the team track in Whippany was for another use, but I guess not?
 #755085  by Tri-State Tom

Sorry for a tardy post but FWIW, today mid-a.m. observed an NS Geep arriving BAKER from the West hauling a single empty flat car. It crossed-over to the M&E lead and proceeded down the hill where I lost sight of it.

Why would NS be delivering an empty flat to the M&E ?
 #755118  by RS115

Tom how far were you able to see down the hill? I ask only as I have seen NS pull in alongside the Staples/M&E driveway to fuel the units. The flat could have been along for the ride - not being delivered. Just a theory.
 #778265  by Teutobergerwald

I believe these vehicles are back from getting repaired and refurbished after use in Iraq by the NJARNG's 50th Infantry Brigade. Were they desert tan or woodland green/black/brown camouflage-painted? Did they have the armored gunner's station up on the roof? 95% of the HMMWV's used in Iraq & Afghanistan have had those armored gunner's stations retrofitted, at in-theater depots or here stateside before being shipped over.