Railroad Forums 

• LV 112 sold, and moving north

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#777402  by Lehighton_Man

Three years after its sale, and its finally moving?
I do understand the issues that surrounded it before moving, IE: FRA regulations and rules and "Hoops to jump through.."
Didn't think it'd take this long!
Glad to hear that she is finally headed to a better location. :)
 #777536  by scottychaos

Lehighton_Man wrote:Three years after its sale, and its finally moving?
I do understand the issues that surrounded it before moving, IE: FRA regulations and rules and "Hoops to jump through.."
2 years..not three..
and actually, thats not bad at all for a project like this! ;)
quite fast actually, when compared to many other projects of this nature..

Scot
 #777604  by Matt Langworthy

scottychaos wrote:
Lehighton_Man wrote:Three years after its sale, and its finally moving?
2 years..not three..
and actually, thats not bad at all for a project like this! ;)
quite fast actually, when compared to many other projects of this nature..

Scot
Yeah... I'm still waiting for that U-Boat to get to Sayre. :wink:
 #778899  by scottychaos

112 is on the road! :P
seen in Chattanooga today:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1966247

Its often been discussed how NS and CSX seem to have great difficulty in moving locomotives like this in the correct direction..
its been noted multiple times..

if you have a chance, take a look at the relative locations of:
Rockwood, TN (where 112 was stored, and where she began this journey)
Chattanooga, TN
and New Jersey..

oh dear..

Scot
 #778974  by TB Diamond

Probably a good thing that NS can't utilize the 112 as road power else the trip up from TN would be even more circuitous.
 #779105  by Lehighton_Man

She's lookin' real sporty with those new Rollerbearing AARs underneath. Are those perminate, or did NS lease them to move the locomotive?
 #779202  by CAR_FLOATER

[quote="Lehighton_Man"]She's lookin' real sporty with those new Rollerbearing AARs underneath. Are those perminate, or did NS lease them to move the locomotive?[/quote]

I don't know if they are [b]permanent[/b] or not, but the owner needed to place them under the unit in order to be moved (NS had nothing to do with the trucks, other than requiring them to be placed underneath in order to be moved over their railroad, and I'm sure it is also an ARR requirement as well banning friction-bearing journals) but if the owner ever has plans of taking it offline, they need to stay with the loco. Otherwise, to be 100% historically accurate, the old ones need to go back on, but they may be too trashed to make rebuilding profitable.

CF
 #779237  by scottychaos

And since the plan is to restore 112 to operating condition, I would guess the new trucks will likely stay under the unit..

And sure those new trucks can be considered "historically accurate"..
50 years from now someone will remark:"the currect roller bearing trucks were installed in the year 2010"
so thats history right there..when did "history end" for this unit? ;)

new roller bearing trucks are simply part of her history..what if roller bearing trucks has been installed in say, 1970?
IMO, there is no difference between roller bearing trucks being installed in 1970 or 2010..
no locomotive can ever be 100% historically accurate anyway..
Odds are good the "original" trucks that were just swapped out might not even be the actual original trucks anyway..

112 has 70 years of history behind her..and still counting! :P

Scot
 #779785  by Lehighton_Man

You make a valid point there Scotty, her history making
at have paused for about 30 or so years, but it certianly did not stop. ;)

*side note: someone here on this board is working with my father on a firstwind job in Maine... Who might that be? ;)
 #780673  by CAR_FLOATER

I had the pleasure of talking with the owner of the engine this past Sunday, and about the trucks in particular. They are staying with the unit.....The old ones were beyond reasonable repair, and these "new" ones came from and SW-1200 IF I recall correctly. The engine will be secured almost immediately upon it's arrival in New Jersey, btw. I am part of the "paint scheme restoration team", and if all goes to plan (time, money, ect), I will be joining the "mechanical restoration team" as well.
CF
 #780695  by CAR_FLOATER

pierrerabbit wrote:Does anyone have an update on her location? Last we heard she headed south to Chattanooga.
I have been sworn to secrecy, sorry.
 #781235  by Otto Vondrak

Can't be that big a secret:
njt5140 wrote:Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:20 pm: Unit came into Knoxville, TN on 132 and currently there.
See thread in the New Jersey Forum: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=69625

-otto-
 #781262  by CAR_FLOATER

Otto Vondrak wrote:Can't be that big a secret:
njt5140 wrote:Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:20 pm: Unit came into Knoxville, TN on 132 and currently there.
See thread in the New Jersey Forum: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=69625

-otto-
I'm sorry Otto, but do you know the owner personally too? Because he asked me personally NOT to go blabbing it all over the place, ESPECIALLY once it gets to the BR&W. He's got GPS tracking on it, so yes, I DO know exactly where it is.

Scot, if you are reading any of this, please contact me off the forum.

Ralph