Railroad Forums 

• Borrowed ex-NYC Snow Plow from WNYRHS

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#770122  by Pete D

Tuesday morning (2/9) when I went to work I saw a snow plow on the interchange next to Blue Seal. Anyone know if this is an A&A aquisition or had it been left there by the B&P for some other reason?
 #770381  by BSOR Patarak

This plow is one from the WNYRHS. It is being leased by the A&A to replace their aging Russel. This one is of the 'wedge' type and will be tried out to see how it works on the line. It is an ex NYC and was stored at Hamburg for sometime.
 #770631  by jgallaway81

Pat, is it an actual wedge, or a multi-track wedge?
 #770654  by BSOR Patarak

You might call it the multi track wedge. It pushes all to the right side of the plow (or what would be the east side of the A&A). I called it a wedge as opposed to the "vee" of the old one. Since most all of the snow drifts from west to east over the line, they didn't feel it would be a problem pushing it all to the east. There are still two air operated wings on either side to push back the banks along the edges. I don't know that it has plowed the line yet, but it was brought to the shop to have 2 windows repaired, minor air leaks in the flanger and wing system corrected and it is ready for duty. An interesting item that I found on it while performing it's single car air test was "NYC 645" stenciled on the frame underneath.
 #770703  by jgallaway81

Give us a heads up when its supposed to go out.. something like that might expect multiple-unit hoses and jumper to run.
 #770887  by BSOR Patarak

The plow is set up for the MU Jumper and Main Res hoses. The MU plug would power the lights (inside and out) on the plow, unfortunately 112 doesn't have that wiring. It does have the Main Res line that could be utilized to supply the air for the flanger and wings. It will also air up through the brake pipe. It takes a little longer, but as long as you're not pulling other cars with the plow, this isn't a problem.

It's just a guess on my part, but with the light snows and heavier winds that are expected over this weekend, they just might try it out early this week. I don't know if Monday will count as a holiday for them...either Monday or Tuesday would be my thoughts...
 #772170  by joesbag

All - Just wondering if this is the plow you are referring to - http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/mow.htm#flanger . It's good that it can get some use. What is the issue with the A&A plow - just wearing out?
 #772204  by jgallaway81

Joe, the current A&A plow was originally built as a wood plow in the 1800's by the Russel Snow Plow company and rebuilt with steel later on.
 #772996  by joesbag

Yep, I'm familiar withthe history of the A&A plow. Just wondering why the switch was made this season. Guess the WNYRHS folks were amenable to a lease which is good for both the A&A and them. Hope it works out. Also hope the old A&A plow is able to be kept on the property.
 #773649  by howie729

I was told the switch was made because at the end of last year the they where told they couldn't use the old plow. There is a major problem with one of the trucks. We have hardly needed a plow around here. I think I have plowed my driveway 7 times this winter. With all the traffic to NJ I imagine the line stays pretty clear.
 #774207  by Pete D

Considering the history and age of the old plow, are there plans to preserve it and set it out so we can see it ?
 #775733  by thebigham

I've been told it's snowing heavily in WNY. Sounds like a plow train is inevitable.
 #775799  by howie729

It's supposed to snow hard tonight. As of right now we have a good Inch. I'll believe the storm when I see it.
 #776191  by thebigham

I heard the new plow was used on Monday.