Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#769749  by train2

This morning I was looking at some aerial photo planning for a future trip. I started by looking at Newark Penn station. I realized I have never spent any time on PATH. I decided to follow their line in both directions form the station using the photos. Based on those photos I have some questions:

First to the south (or west) of the station I see what looks like a multi-track RR bridge spanning all the Amtk/Transit mains cut off on each end. What railroad was that and where was it coming from and going? South of this bridge the PATH track jump over the Amtk/Transit but look like they just end. Not really a yard just two tracks that end. Is this the extent of storage in Newark? In the jump over area is does look like a PATH train on the lower level but I can't tell for sure?

As I moved toward NYC following he line I found the Journal station and then a yard. The tracks seemed to disappear in this area. Going back and making a second and third pass it looks like the PATH might drop down into a tunnel with a large building over the top. If not it is a maintenance building with two tracks at one end only. What am I seeing?

Is the jct. with the Hoboken line underground?

After this point is the rest of PATH underground? With the exception of the WTC station? Anything open in or around Hoboken?
 #769783  by umtrr-author

I can answer the second question: Yes, the tracks go underground east of Journal Square. The main line (if you will) heads under Christopher Columbus Boulevard, formerly Railroad Avenue, towards Grove Street. Railroad Avenue was the alignment of the PRR's route east of Journal Square to Exchange Place as well, until Exchange Place was abandoned.
 #769816  by OportRailfan

train2 wrote:This morning I was looking at some aerial photo planning for a future trip. I started by looking at Newark Penn station. I realized I have never spent any time on PATH. I decided to follow their line in both directions form the station using the photos. Based on those photos I have some questions:

1. First to the south (or west) of the station I see what looks like a multi-track RR bridge spanning all the Amtk/Transit mains cut off on each end. What railroad was that and where was it coming from and going? South of this bridge the PATH track jump over the Amtk/Transit but look like they just end. Not really a yard just two tracks that end.

2. Is this the extent of storage in Newark? In the jump over area is does look like a PATH train on the lower level but I can't tell for sure?

3. Anything open in or around Hoboken?
1. The bridge that you see that passes over the old PRR main is the CNJ's Newark branch, which ran from the CNJ Elizabethport station to the Newark Terminal on Broad St.
The station is still there and is really close to the new Prudential Center.

2. In addition to the 2 stub tracks that cross over the main and go to platform A/B, and the upper platform H. There is also another track that runs out under the flyover from platform A/B and is sandwiched by tracks 1 and 2. The 2 stub ones run down to South St in Newark. I don't know how far for the other stub.

3. Only thing open, but closed to the public is the old car elevator building on Hudson Place.