Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#767866  by n2cbo

I have a vague memory from my youth of seeing LIRR cars at the St. George Terminal. Is this just my brain playing tricks on me, or did the SIRT actually use LIRR equipment for a while? For some reason I seem to remember it being the early 1970s.
 #776843  by MNR's #1 Conductor

If my knowledge serves me right, a set of ex-LIRR Pullman Standard MUs (2500-series, quite similar to MNR's ACMUs) did run the SIRT for some time, before being replaced by the R-44s, and stop me if I am wrong but I believe they did not run more than 2 or 3 cars at a time.
 #793132  by Lronan

New to this form... Yes, I remember the old LIRR cars on the SIRT. I rode them to work, was not a pleasant experience. Not that the cars were bad, but were not designed for the many frequent stops, like a regular subway car. Had to enter and exit from a center isle and the doors only on the ends of the cars, with standing people in the isle, it was a struggle to get out of the cars. Story behind them was (have pictures) the old SIRR cars were falling apart and new replacments were not coming. Then the "Subway strike" finished them. People drove from Brooklyn & NJ to ride SIRR to the ferry and walk to work from South Ferry. The load was too much on the old cars. They put in several LIRR cars for a test to help replace and add to the fleet. They had to change the alignment of some track in the St George Terminal for the longer LIRR cars. They were pulled as soon as the new 44's came on line.
 #793652  by R36 Combine Coach

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote:If my knowledge serves me right, a set of ex-LIRR Pullman Standard MUs (2500-series, quite similar to MNR's ACMUs) did run the SIRT for some time, before being replaced by the R-44s, and stop me if I am wrong but I believe they did not run more than 2 or 3 cars at a time.
MP72s, built by Pullman 1955.