Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#766083  by jbn7474

Hi all,
I am from Boston and am planning a trip soon to NYC to venture on the subways. I really want to explore the elevated's and as much terrain as I can. What are considered safe lines? And what time of day should I do this exploring. I am going with my gf and dont want us to end up in any unsavory situations if possible. I am used to traveling the Boston lines, but its nothing compared to NY's. Also where is a good place to stay outside the city and have access to the subways to get into manhatten. Any info would be appreciated, thanks :)
 #766192  by Kamen Rider

they're all safe, exploer when you feel like, and the subway doesn't leave the city borders, so getting a place ouyside will be a long haul.
 #766445  by Fan Railer

I would say midday would be a good time to explore. just so you can avoid the crowds. If you are planning on taking pictures or filming, make sure you have the documentation on you so that if the cops harass you, you have the proof. I'm sure you know MTA policy on cameras, but some cops and MTA employees convienently ignore it, so here:

http://mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm -
Section 1050.9 Restricted areas and activities.
Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Part.
and:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2337/354 ... 700c_b.jpg
-police directive

these may be helpful.

As for sections of the city to explore, if your looking for El's, they are usually located away from manhattan. good El runs would include the 1 train from Van courtland to dykman, All IRT A Division lines in the bronx (2,4,5,6) J,M,Z in Queens, the 7 in queens, the L from Broadway Junction to Canarsie, the A in queens to lefferts and far rockaway starting at 80th street, the F in brooklyn from coney island to ditmas ave, the B, Q from coney island to prospect park, the N from coney island to 8th street, and the D from coney island to ninth street.

Here's a map of the system to reference to the previous messy El / surface line discription:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... 4D.svg.png - bigger image version.

A good place to stay if you want to be out of the city would be in New Jersey over in secaucus/north bergen (http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&q=h ... ear=&hl=en). There is an NJT bus route (320) that will take you into the city in 15 minutes for a $5 dollar round trip ticket. once at 42nd street bus terminal, you can hop onto the A, C, E, or walk a short distance underground to times square and catch a 1, 2, 3, 7, N, Q, R, W, or S.

Hope this helps... :wink:
 #766594  by Noel Weaver

In my opinion not all of the lines are safe even in the daytime. I would recommend the Dyre Avenue Line in the Bronx which
was at one time a part of the New York, Westchester and Boston and the A train to the Rockaways. Both of these lines
should be fairly safe to ride and interesting as well. The ride out to the Rockaways over Jamaica Bay is very decent for a
New York City Subway line.
Another reasonably decent ride is probaby to Coney Island by any of the four routes, go on one and return on another one to
and from Stillwell Avenue. While there, cross the street to Nathans for a good Hot Dog or other meal, I don't think you will
miss it from the subway entrance.
One more would be to go to South Ferry and take the Staten Island Ferry over to Staten Island and ride from St. George to
Tottenville and back, this line was once owned by the Baltimore and Ohio and is pretty interesting to ride too but allow lots
of time for this one. The ferry ride is pretty and free as well.
I would suggest you get yourself a day pass, I don't know the cost but it is the best deal they offer. Their fares are relatively
high compared with other systems nationwide.
The most dangerous situation that I think you would encounter would be in mid afternoon if a bunch of school rowdies get on
in a marginal neighborhood, don't expose an expensive camera and be careful at all times.
Noel Weaver
 #766718  by ExCon90

Just as an aside, when you go to Coney Island take a moment to go outside the station (you'll certainly have a day pass) and cross the street. The facade of the station has been restored to its original appearance, including the traditional green BMT logo.
 #766906  by jbn7474

Thanks for the replies so far and appreciate the tips. We are gonna stay in Seacaucus at the Hilton garden inn. Then take the bus, as suggested, into the city. I will definately head out to Coney island Rockaway park. I also will do the Flushing line in queens too. I also will visit the 911 memorial, statue of libertry, and the Empire state building in between the subway rides. I also want to visit that transit museum and wanted to know what stop or line that was on? Again thanks for the input guys :)
 #767200  by oknazevad

The Transit Museum is in downtown Brooklyn, about a two block walk from the Hoyt-Schermerhorn sttiin on the A. I highly recommend it.
 #768164  by jaystreetcrr

Yes to all of the above, lots of good tips. I'd recomend taking the F line out to Coney Island, lots of above ground action including the highest point on the system (Culver viaduct) with great views of Manhattan and the harbor. The F goes by the Avenue X yards, largest in the system, and the new terminal at Coney Island is awesome. A return trip on the D line weaves through the 39th St. yards. By the way, all the Coney Island routes follow the path of steam lines from the 1800s.
Any line that goes over the Manhattan or Williamsburg bridges is worth a ride. Almost any line through downtown Brooklyn will get you close to the Transit Museum, and also check out the Transit Museum annex in Grand Central, one more reason to go there.
As far as safety, late late night at the end of some outer borough line is probably a bad idea, rowdy after school crowds are more annoying than threatening, and there's a lot of cops and security around these days. The conductor's car in the middle of the train is considered a little safer. Don't wave around lots of expensive camera gear or look obviously lost or dazed, and the Harried Commuter look with your face buried in a Daily News will vibe off all but the most crazed thugs. I'd worry about pickpockets more than muggers...my only victimization in years of harried commuting.
If you're here on weekends be sure to check for service disruptions and changes. Also, if you're in Jersey there's the Hudson-Bergen light rail, the beautiful old Hoboken ex-Lackawanna terminal, and the PATH train to Manhattan which is just another subway more or less. Enjoy...it's a great system to explore......John
 #771010  by Head-end View

Best time to go riding is weekdays roughly 9AM-2PM. My favorite el is the #7 Flushing line in Queens; try to catch an express with the diamond symbol on the destination sign, if they're running. See out the front easily on the Flushing bound ride. The old BMT lines to Stillwell Ave./Coney Island are good too. And as the above writer said also ride the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail which runs from North Bergen/Tonnele Ave. Station (near Secaucus) to Hoboken, Jersey City and Bayonne and is mostly at ground level, a very good ride. So is the PATH train from World Trade Centre to Newark. Catch an old train so you have a panoramic view out the front windows! :-D
 #771146  by R36 Combine Coach

#7 has a railfan window (cab view) on virtually all outbound trains. Hunters Point Avenue at street level has Amtrak, LIRR, NJT action. Ride to Mets-Willets Point (CitiField) and visit the Corona Railroad Yard (home of the #7 route) and catch some 1964 vintage R36s resting in the yard along with the current in-service model, R62As while look over from a promenade. Nearby is the Queens Museum, 1964 World's Fair grounds and downtown Flushing, with its Asian cusine and stores.
 #771528  by hi55us

R36 Combine Coach wrote:#7 has a railfan window (cab view) on virtually all outbound trains. Hunters Point Avenue at street level has Amtrak, LIRR, NJT action. Ride to Mets-Willets Point (CitiField) and visit the Corona Railroad Yard (home of the #7 route) and catch some 1964 vintage R36s resting in the yard along with the current in-service model, R62As while look over from a promenade. Nearby is the Queens Museum, 1964 World's Fair grounds and downtown Flushing, with its Asian cusine and stores.
I can attest to flushing, its a really nice area and not that many tourists as manhattan.
 #771728  by jbn7474

Hi all,
Again I would like to say thanks for all the replies thus far. I am heading down to the NYC area on the 25th of this month. Hopefully the weather wont be to bad and we will be able to get some fun activities in. I cant wait to ride some of these elevated lines. I think Queens #7 will be first and do some exploring around the Flushing area. Then a ride to Coney Island for some exploring as well. The reason I am so interested in the elevated lines is cause we have none here in the Boston area anymore. They tore down the one and only El line many years ago, which is a shame, and I never got to ride on it. So this will be a treat to experience what I never got to experience in my area. This trip cant come fast enough and luckily my gf does'nt mind exploring the lines with me. Maybe I will turn her into a railfan after this trip.
 #771789  by Fan Railer

jbn7474 wrote:Hi all,
Again I would like to say thanks for all the replies thus far. I am heading down to the NYC area on the 25th of this month. Hopefully the weather wont be to bad and we will be able to get some fun activities in. I cant wait to ride some of these elevated lines. I think Queens #7 will be first and do some exploring around the Flushing area. Then a ride to Coney Island for some exploring as well. The reason I am so interested in the elevated lines is cause we have none here in the Boston area anymore. They tore down the one and only El line many years ago, which is a shame, and I never got to ride on it. So this will be a treat to experience what I never got to experience in my area. This trip cant come fast enough and luckily my gf does'nt mind exploring the lines with me. Maybe I will turn her into a railfan after this trip.
great to hear.
hope to see some great photos' / videos soon. how long will you be staying?
 #771831  by jaystreetcrr

I hope you enjoy your trip. Some bad news...the F line will be cut off the weekend you're here from Jay St. to Church Ave. in Brooklyn, so if you're going to Coney Island, check out some other lines. The MTA website should have info on any other service interruptions.
I'd forgotten about the "railfan" window in front...sadly, a lot of trains have that blanked out now. A much better ride, even underground, and also "safer" next to the motorman. I know some people think "safety" and "NYC subway" don't belong in the same sentence, but you're probably better off on a train than some Dallas freeway. Still, stuff happens. For instance, Broadway Junction in Brooklyn is a way cool multilevel station with a view of a yard...and in one of the worst crime areas of the city. I used to catch a train from a late night job there years ago...but then I'm still here to tell about it, right? For some scary subway thrills from the bad old days, check out some old movies like "The Warriors".
If you're interested in elevated lines, the High Line is an old New York Central freight line that's been turned into an elevated park. It's in the trendy Chelsea and West Village areas if your girlfriend is sick of trains and wants to see art galleries and boutiques. A great walk.
Have fun....John