Railroad Forums 

• Iowa Interstate RR orders ES44ACs

• For discussion of the Iowa Interstate. The Iowa Interstate Railroad (reporting mark IAIS) is a Class II railroad operating in the central United States. The railroad is owned by Railroad Development Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Website: iaisrr.com
For discussion of the Iowa Interstate. The Iowa Interstate Railroad (reporting mark IAIS) is a Class II railroad operating in the central United States. The railroad is owned by Railroad Development Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Website: iaisrr.com
 #581393  by Allen Hazen

Silly, silly me... AGAIN! The idea of a super-heavy diesel in granger country seemed incongruous to me, but I have been assured by posters on the Yahoo "LocoNotes" group that IAIS's ES44AC units have all the CSX options. Including tipping the scales at 432,000 pounds.

(What sorts of household appliances did GE make? These aren't "toasters," they're "irons," and Iowa is about to be pressed flat. Flatter.)
 #581495  by MEC407

Allen Hazen wrote:These aren't "toasters," they're "irons," and Iowa is about to be pressed flat. Flatter.)
Ha! Now that's a good one! :-D

(Just watch out... the steam fans will get all uppity... :wink: )
 #581664  by MEC407

The MLWs have been gone for a while now.
 #766142  by Allen Hazen

A classy looking locomotive! And that station building is one of the most memorable and recognizable anywhere: it's been something like a decade since I last rode Amtrak's Southwest Chief through Joliet, but I recognized the location immediately. All told, a very, very good photo: thanks for linking the image.
---
So, are there any other short-lines/regionals that could be tempted into buying new locomotives and painting them in the colors of the dear departed? (Union Pacific's "inspired by" color schemes on its memorial units don't count... and besides, they painted the wrong brand of locomotive!) Can someone hypnotize the head of P.R. at CSX into thinking a series of locomotives painted to memorialize the companies that were merged into CSX would be a GOOD IDEA? I'd love to see an ES44 going through Berea Ohio in New York Central lightening stripes! Or one on the Thomas Viaduct in full B&O regalia.
 #766210  by MEC407

Sounds like a good idea to me, Allen. Shall we start a letter writing campaign? :-D

I'd like to see one in Atlantic Coast Line "Champion" livery (like this: http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1541563)

Then again, there are probably a few folks in MBTA Commuter Rail territory who would be confused and claim it was a copy of their livery. :wink: