Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2010

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#756126  by GOLDEN-ARM

Here's the thread, to post your M&E stuff, for this year. Have a great New Years, everyone.
 #762218  by Btkspot89

Drove by the the ME shops and looks like Ex CP 4240 is getting scrapped. The whole hood was taken off and the ME crane was taking stuff out of it.
 #762327  by ns3010

Ok, then that confirms it. Back in November, I caught them bring 4240 east through Dover, and then later saw it at the shops, and everyone here assumed it would have parts removed for 4216 and then scrapped.
 #762403  by PVRX1

Yes, thats the way I found 4240 this afternoon as well. long hood removed, engine block showing. Crane had roof section of long hood attached (sitting on ground) but no one working at that point.

4216 appears to be at Jefferson Road.
 #765242  by mandealco

Hi
Although the M&E may appear to be a museum friendly railroad, they are primarily a business, and as such must take business decisions to make a profit. I am a huge Alco fan, but to make the few live longer it is necessary to do organ transplants from the terminally ill. 4240 was terminally ill.
Cheers
Steve
Modelling NJ in NZ
 #772529  by TREnecNYP

Saw a lone ME loco on the industrial track on the property that sits between the prr/path main and the dl&w tracks. Was hooked to at least one tank car, however yesterday I did spot several tank cars sitting alone on same track. Spotted 9:50 am.

- A
 #772650  by Angus202

Sounds like this was the Center St. branch. They do some light interchange with CSX here.
 #783085  by RS115

Did some poking around this morning and M&E did some moving around this week.

Started at Morristown - 489 and 487 nose to nose on 4 alongside the shop. Otherwise nothing else visible.
Ridgedale Ave run-around - empty except for 3562 (think that's the number - the M420)
Junction - 7215 - don't know where 4240 went but I could have missed it.
Jefferson Road - 4216 in the short siding
New long run-around/storage track east of Jefferson Road (anyone know if they've given this a name?) - a bunch of MHC's, one of the ore/ballast cars, 22, 559, 563, 4231

Didn't make it to Whippany