Railroad Forums 

• MBTA in other media (ex-MBTA in the movies)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#759495  by jaymac

TFoEC sure had its locations better than TTCA. Mitchum's accent was there, too, and --best of all -- The Turbo!
 #759767  by MBTA3247

BackInTheCity wrote:Can anyone tell me where the Dover Street station is in Boston, MA?
That was the northernmost stop on the Washington Street Elevated. It no longer exists.
 #759773  by jaymac

Dover Street had -- charitably -- less than a positive place in most Bostonians' esteem. I don't remember the precise year, but as part of the city's attempts to upgrade itself in the '60s and '70s, a number of rebrandings took place, and Dover became and still is East Berkeley Street.
 #759799  by BackInTheCity

Maybe one of these elevated stations were showcased in this film before they tore them down.
The film was shot about the time when they were taken down.
 #759810  by MBTA3247

BackInTheCity wrote:Maybe one of these elevated stations were showcased in this film before they tore them down.
The film was shot about the time when they were taken down.
The film was shot 20 years before the El was demolished.
 #761642  by bigbronco85

It's great being able to look into the past with old films like this and see what the area was like such a relatively short but also long time ago. I like the Thomas Crown Affair, but The Friends of Eddie Coyle has to be my favorite movie ever. It's totally realistic and gritty.
It was finally released on DVD this year as part of the Criterion collection, and while someone has uploaded it in clips to YouTube, I'd recommend getting the movie itself and watching it that way, you've gotta see it.

There is a substantial ionamount of old MBTA subject matter in here, you can also see a single Budd car go by under it's own power in the background at the Sharon CR station when Jackie Brown is looking in his rearview mirror in addition to the turbo train.

The imagery presented in general is just amazing. There is a mistake where they go through the Sumner or Callahan tunnel to get to Neponset Circle, but who cares, I love seeing the old cars! (I have a 74 Impala)
I was surprised to see that the old Rowe Quarry in Malden was used for a scene in this, I used to play around in there on my bike (when no one was around) back in early 90s and when I saw the quarry/back of the stone crusher in this movie I almost fainted.
 #761721  by 3rdrail

That shot of the Turbo Train at Sharon was a nice one ! The scene where Peter Boyle (what a versatile actor he is !) is approached with Mitchum's hit order was filmed at North Quincy Station with some three year old No. 1 & 2 P/S Red Line cars going by. Sad that Robert Mitchum has passed away. He was an actor's actor. He was the only one in that film that spoke Bostonian like a Bostonian. (He grew up in Connecticut and his dad, a railway man was crushed to death in a railway yard accident when Robert was an infant. Early in his life, he roamed the U.S. in boxcars. He was quite the guy.)
 #761939  by jonnhrr

Another good movie for T shots is Good Will Hunting, also a good movie in its own right, several interior and exterior shots of 01400's on the Red Line as Will (Matt Damon) commutes between his job at MIT and his home in South Boston.

Jon
 #761954  by jaymac

To oversimplify -- one of my particular and peculiar talents -- maybe one of the reasons for those of us addicted to trains that Eddie Coyle seems more rewarding than Thomas Crown I is that Peter Yates, the director of TFoEC, takes a much more kinetic approach to moviemaking than Norman Jewison, the director of the first TTCA.
We tend to like to see things move, and Yates made one of the movingest movies -- Bullitt -- of all time. He also made The House on Carroll Street that features The Century and a fall through the zodiac ceiling at GCT. Jewison tends to focus more on acting than action: Denzel in The Hurricane and an incredible acting clinic in Moonstruck.
And, yup, the T is just as much a character in GWH as any of the humans.
 #761963  by sery2831

Did we have a general movie discussion once upon a time? I did a quick search and found some other threads about specific movies like this one... But I thought we had a general one. Anyone want to try to find it?
 #762067  by 3rdrail

How about throwing on "...and other movies with Boston area trains" on the end of the title for this thread ?