Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#757031  by keithsy

I was on a n/b D train at 34th today. The motorman called for her conductor to "open the front." This was done over the PA. It took at least three calls for the conductor to acknowledge. This is why I hate these people. For years, I have witnessed conductors and motormen not answer each other via radio, PA or IC. There is not excuse for this property or human life could be in jeopardy. I once told a conductor that his m/m was calling him and he said that he did not hear him and we were in the same car. On a class 1 railroad, when that radio or PA calls, YOU BETTER ANSWER IT! Someone is going to lose their life AND SOON. Stop this customer service garbage and return to running your trains and pay attention.
 #757156  by Noel Weaver

keithsy wrote:I was on a n/b D train at 34th today. The motorman called for her conductor to "open the front." This was done over the PA. It took at least three calls for the conductor to acknowledge. This is why I hate these people. For years, I have witnessed conductors and motormen not answer each other via radio, PA or IC. There is not excuse for this property or human life could be in jeopardy. I once told a conductor that his m/m was calling him and he said that he did not hear him and we were in the same car. On a class 1 railroad, when that radio or PA calls, YOU BETTER ANSWER IT! Someone is going to lose their life AND SOON. Stop this customer service garbage and return to running your trains and pay attention.
I think it would be a good idea for you to M.Y.O.B.
Noel Weaver
 #758048  by LIRRMEDFORD

keithsy wrote:I was on a n/b D train at 34th today. The motorman called for her conductor to "open the front." This was done over the PA. It took at least three calls for the conductor to acknowledge. This is why I hate these people. For years, I have witnessed conductors and motormen not answer each other via radio, PA or IC. There is not excuse for this property or human life could be in jeopardy. I once told a conductor that his m/m was calling him and he said that he did not hear him and we were in the same car. On a class 1 railroad, when that radio or PA calls, YOU BETTER ANSWER IT! Someone is going to lose their life AND SOON. Stop this customer service garbage and return to running your trains and pay attention.

While you may be able to hear doesn't mean the conductor can. You seem to forget that both the motorman and conductor are in their own cabs to do what they must to operate the train. You never know the circumstances as to why the conductor can't hear the motorman. Notice that some conductors do wear their earphones still. And even if they don't the speaker in the cab from which they are operating could of just broke. Never look at the negatives of the situation and give them the benefit of a doubt. :-D
 #758080  by umtrr-author

keithsy wrote:On a class 1 railroad, when that radio or PA calls, YOU BETTER ANSWER IT! Someone is going to lose their life AND SOON. Stop this customer service garbage and return to running your trains and pay attention.
I'm not aware of too many Class 1 railroads where passengers are trying to beat the closing doors... kinda apples and oranges here...
 #759486  by Robert Paniagua

Well, in MBTA's Red and Orange Lines, the motorperson and attendant (conductor) communicate with each other via I/C by pushing a bell button and they pick the telephone-shaped radio and switch to I/C.

I don't know what the topic originator's point is as far as his concern is.......