Railroad Forums 

• ex-LIRR coach on blocks (from Knox & Kane)

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#740667  by howie729

Drove up to Curriers today after having my book signed. I like the display with the Coach, Boxcar and soon the Porter. Pat if you hear that any help is needed for painting could you please let us know.
 #753139  by Benjamin Maggi

Well, it's a start! I guess they must have torn down the old barn that was to the left of the trains. Something I always still look for when at Curriers is the old wooden steps that they used to position next to the cab of the engine when visitors could tour the steamer during the 1980s. Not sure when that practice was ended due to insurance. Last time I was there (this summer), the old steps looked like they wouldn't make it another year.

I don't remember as a child going into the cab. I was only 6 or 7 then, so my parents probably thought it wise not to take me into a hot, loud, dangerous machine. Silly parents!

Thanks for posting the pictures.
 #1290608  by RailVet

Reactivating this thread, here's an update on cars on the Walkersville Southern Railroad:

[7045 sold to Steamtown Foundation, Bellows Falls, VT, 12-21-1974. Resold to West Virginia Northern Railroad, Kingwood, WV. Resold to Walkersville Southern Railroad, Walkersville, MD and renumbered 14.] Little white stick-on numbers, like those used to mark mail boxes, were used for this car. The number 14 was chosen by the WS because it was the next available one on the roster, and the stick-ons were cheap and easy. (Not my choice for markings or numbering.) The car wasn't actually sold to the WS, but rather it was donated to the non-profit Chesapeake Railway Association for a tax write-off by the owner, and the CRA moved it to the WS for restoration and operation. The WS largely used it as it own, but in renovating and repainting it in the last couple of years I restored the number 7045 to its sides and, at the request of another WS volunteer who is a member of the Ligonier Valley Railroad Historical Society, we put "Ligonier Valley" above the windows to help that long-gone line to be remembered. (The LVR had operated a similar car, but with a different number, until the line and its passenger service ended in 1952.) Having the LVR name on it helped to bring in riders, too, including a chartered group from the area where the LVR ran.

[7091 sold to Steamtown Foundation, Bellows Falls, VT, 12-21-1974. Sold to Gettysburg Scenic RR, Gettysburg, PA and renumbered 709. Sold to Walkersville Southern Railroad, Walkersville, MD, 02-2004 and renumbered back to 7091.] This one was actually purchased by WS volunteer Paul Kovalcik (no relation to the family with the similar name of EBT fame), not the WS, and has been sitting derelict on the WS for many years while restoration work focused on other projects. Currently it's being worked on with hopes of having it ready in time for Santa rides starting at the end of November, but that's a tall order. It hasn't had a number on it since arriving at the WS but it will be 7091 again when a number is placed on its sides. I have been using a needle scaler and an angle grinder to remove old paint and rust, followed by applying primer, and there's a lot of surface area yet to cover. Recently the interior was sandblasted and spray-painted, but it's still largely in gutted condition. New side panels were installed because the original ones had rusted out.

[7128 sold to Steamtown Foundation, Bellows Falls, VT, 12-21-1974. Sold to Gettysburg Scenic RR, Gettysburg, PA and renumbered 709. Sold to Walkersville Southern Railroad, Walkersville, MD, 02-2004 and renumbered back to 7128.] This one continues in service on the WS as WS-owned equipment.

[7436 sold to Steamtown Foundation, Bellows Falls, VT, 12-21-1974. Resold to West Virginia Northern Railroad, Kingwood, WV. Resold to Walkersville Southern Railroad, Walkersville, MD.] Rather than being purchased by the WS, the car was bought with personal funds by the WS president, Ronnie Baird, and restored as a dining car. The number is not displayed anywhere and on the sides it reads SOUTHAMPTON.
 #1290634  by RailVet

Earlier in this thread, on January 5, 2009, seen here

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 35#p621213" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

someone posted a complete list of surviving P54D cars, and the information posted regarding the cars on the WS was a little off or outdated. I came across it while searching for information on these cars and provided the information for whomever might be interested. The cars at the WS have no connection to the A&A other than being sister cars to the 7002 that went from the K&K to the A&A.