Railroad Forums 

• Wrecked NJT comet 1's in Susquehanna

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#728348  by ErieLimited2914

Jtgshu wrote:Wow they are still up there? Nice

Story I heard was that the Comets were put on the head end of a freight train.......35 year old pax cars can't handle slack action quite as good as a freight cars and locos can and they were basically crushed by the train behind it.

I BELIEVE they were part of the group that was sent out to Utah to the UTA. They obviously didn't accept those cars and I believe there is still some bickering about those cars and what to do with them.

Of course, the story I heard was from the railroad, and anyone who works on the railroad can tell you you just can't trust anything you hear and half of what you see...........
...woops...
 #729527  by wolfboy8171981

Jtgshu wrote:Wow they are still up there? Nice

Story I heard was that the Comets were put on the head end of a freight train.......35 year old pax cars can't handle slack action quite as good as a freight cars and locos can and they were basically crushed by the train behind it.

I BELIEVE they were part of the group that was sent out to Utah to the UTA. They obviously didn't accept those cars and I believe there is still some bickering about those cars and what to do with them.

Of course, the story I heard was from the railroad, and anyone who works on the railroad can tell you you just can't trust anything you hear and half of what you see...........
Thats what happens when you send a Shortline in to do a Class I's job......
 #733094  by RN-16

:-O

Well...A lot of things could be said about that statement.
 #733152  by lvrr325

Of course, Conrail put some former MNCR RDCs in the wrong place in a freight and managed to dump a couple of them on the ground; they sat in Syracuse for a long time and one was eventually scrapped. So mishandling of passenger stuff isn't a shortline-specific issue.
 #746926  by Tadman

Don't forget, CSX is really good at moving passenger equipment too. IE the new NJT locomotives or MN P32's being rebuilt, that take days to go from Ohio/PA to out east, and/or wind up in MNPLS. Also, didn't they move a private-owned E8 and forget to release the handbrake, flattening all the wheels? E-8 wheels are not standard wheels from blomberg trucks... They're unique to E's.
 #748046  by ErieLimited2914

Tadman wrote:Don't forget, CSX is really good at moving passenger equipment too. IE the new NJT locomotives or MN P32's being rebuilt, that take days to go from Ohio/PA to out east, and/or wind up in MNPLS. Also, didn't they move a private-owned E8 and forget to release the handbrake, flattening all the wheels? E-8 wheels are not standard wheels from blomberg trucks... They're unique to E's.
. . . just one of those days . . .