Railroad Forums 

• Rock Island 1275

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#733027  by chuckzeiler

Hello, I'm posting some of my Rock Island photos on another web site, and not being knowledgeable about the Rock Island, I am looking for information about specific equipment. Today's question is about CRI&P GP7 1275. In the photo it appears to have been rebuilt, my question is about the date and other details about the rebuild. It appears to have acquired a standard EMD GP20 style low nose in the rebuild, whereas the other GP7's that were rebuilt retained their as-delivered high short hoods. Was this a wreck rebuild, and did EMD or Rock Island rebuild the locomotive? Thanks in advance for any correct information. Here's an address to the photo: http://chuckzeiler.rrpicturearchives.ne ... id=1815277
 #734787  by rrboomer

The cab and short hood were badly damaged, when the crew ran into a cut of cars at Marseilles, IL during a back up move. Head brakeman instead of jumping went up into the cab to operate the left side emergency brake valve and was killed. Happened in 1965 IIRC.

It is a GP20 cab and short hood kit that Silvis Shops used. GP9 1321 got the same treatment at El Reno, I don't know the details of that one.
 #734944  by chuckzeiler

Thank you very much for that information. With your permission, I will include it in the description of the photo I posted.
 #852471  by bones

1275 is now IAIS 400.
 #852822  by 57A26

1275 was IAIS 400. It was sold and has been gone for a while. The IAIS group on yahoo has mentioned where it and some of her sister IAIS units have ended up, but I don't remember off hand where it is now.
JLH
 #1035928  by limberfamily

I have a little info on the RI 1321 how it came to have a low nose. The 1321 was involved in a rear end collision in Oct 1964 in Manhatten KS. It was on a through freight and rearended a loco that was stopped to do some switching. The local conductor was on the caboose and heard the train approaching and jumped just before impact. The engineer and head brakeman on the 1321jumped as they rounded a blind curve and met their fate runnjng about 30mph destroying two cabooses on the local, the cab of the 1321 was sheared off back to the fire wall. No one was seriously injured but the engineer spent the night in the hospital from injuries from the jump. The rear brakeman who was suppose to be flagging the train, he was picking persimmons at the time of the collision. Did you hear something? Here is a photo of 1321 at Little Rock date unknown http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ri/ri1321gea.jpg
Here is another photo of 1321 which is now KKRX 1321 working the Kaskaskia Regional port located in Baldwin Ill on December 2004. iTS HARD TO KEEP ON OLD GIRL DOWN. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 08&nseq=37.
 #1053168  by atsf sp

1275 is now Northern Line Railway 400 working out of St. Cloud, MN.