Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #731578  by railmason357

Is NS leaving the Souther Tier? I was hearing a rumor that they were pulling out of their Campbell Hall Operation. NYSW taking over?
 #776352  by Itchman

Strong rumor has it that NS is putting in 2 crossovers, one west of the old Lehigh crossover (in Owego) which now leads to O&H railway , and another at MP235, which is East of the Front Street crossing and then its going to be single track to Endicott. Any Real Truth to this?
 #776432  by Anchorman

Yes they are single tracking the section between Waverly and Binghamton. 3 sidings in between. All new signal system is going in as well. Work has already begun on this and will be in full swing hopefully when the weather breaks.
 #784117  by checkthedoorlight

I was trying to look up some info on the Southern Tier line north of Port Jervis. Why does the Harrisburg ETT only cover MP 213-419? Is everything below 213 in a different division, or does another RR own that portion?
 #784160  by scottychaos

checkthedoorlight wrote:I was trying to look up some info on the Southern Tier line north of Port Jervis. Why does the Harrisburg ETT only cover MP 213-419? Is everything below 213 in a different division, or does another RR own that portion?
"north" of Port Jervis?
the southern tier is generally considered an East-West line, (regardless of compass direction in a given area)

Looks like MP 213-419 is Norfolk Southern, 213 is Binghamton, 419 is Buffalo.
and thats all the "Southern Tier Main" trackage that NS owns today..they own Buffalo to Binghamton.

East of MP 213 (Binghamton) is NYSW..so yes, different railroads.

(or does NS still technically own the route? and NYSW only leases it? im not sure on that..
I know its generally considered NYSW east of Binghamton, not NS..but im not sure of the actual ownership)

Scot
 #784244  by checkthedoorlight

Interesting. Last I heard, MNRR leased and maintains the line from Suffern Yard to the NY/PA state line (mp ~30-90). The question is, are they leasing it from NS, NYSW or do they now own it?
 #784353  by Kaback9

checkthedoorlight wrote:Interesting. Last I heard, MNRR leased and maintains the line from Suffern Yard to the NY/PA state line (mp ~30-90). The question is, are they leasing it from NS, NYSW or do they now own it?
Norfolk Southern owns the portion MN leases.
 #784366  by Kaback9

mainetrain wrote:so then they own the portion NYSW leases?
I am not 100% sure on that arrangement NYSW and NS have from MP90 up. One thing to note though is the detectors do say NYSW not that it really means anything,
 #784448  by Anchorman

Now the newest rumor is with the upswing in the economy and the new Patriot Corridor traffic the single track project is off!!! Good news!!! The new signal system is still on so if all goes as planned we'll have 261 signals and upgraded double track. Ideally the rumor mill has it if traffic continues to increase they are planning to put back the double track to Gibson. It's stil rumor now but it's coming from high up so who knows. At least they see the fault in ripping out any track. Also talked about is the ethanol train 4 times a week(2 loads/2 empties) and also a Toyota train out of Toronto has been mentioned. Hope the throttle doesn't get stuck on that train. It might be "unstoppable". BTW - NS still owns the Tier up to Jersey Transit(or whoever owns them now). NYS&W leases the line - CNY is just a paper RR.
 #784669  by Kaback9

checkthedoorlight wrote:So how does the Central NY Railroad fit into this?
Its the name used for the railroad on paper and documents pertaining to the lease.
 #785693  by ANDY117

Anchorman wrote:Now the newest rumor is with the upswing in the economy and the new Patriot Corridor traffic the single track project is off!!! Good news!!! The new signal system is still on so if all goes as planned we'll have 261 signals and upgraded double track. Ideally the rumor mill has it if traffic continues to increase they are planning to put back the double track to Gibson. It's stil rumor now but it's coming from high up so who knows. At least they see the fault in ripping out any track. Also talked about is the ethanol train 4 times a week(2 loads/2 empties) and also a Toyota train out of Toronto has been mentioned. Hope the throttle doesn't get stuck on that train. It might be "unstoppable". BTW - NS still owns the Tier up to Jersey Transit(or whoever owns them now). NYS&W leases the line - CNY is just a paper RR.

Are any of the signals that are currently in use able to support another signal head facing the other direction, or would they all get replaced? Any idea when the target time to start those new trains is?
 #789091  by Itchman

I see NS has set up an office trailer in Owego ,right by the underpass(route96 &38) for the new signal and single track operation.