Railroad Forums 

• CHICAGO - OMAHA CREW CHANGE POINTS

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#715688  by shlustig

Can someone provide the crew change points (passenger and freight, engine and train) between Chicago and Omaha for: C&NW MILW CB&Q CRIP IC and CGW.
 #715830  by SooLineRob

I'm familiar with Through Freight crew districts, at least two of them...

Milwaukee Road, after the Pacific Extension (Lines West) were abandoned:

Savanna, IL to Bensenville (Chicago), IL.

Savanna to Dubuque, IA.

Dubuque to St Paul, MN.

St Paul to La Crosse, WI.

La Crosse to Portage, WI.

Portage to Milwaukee, WI.

Milwaukee to Bensenville (Chicago), IL.

Savanna to Ottumwa, IA.

Ottumwa to Kansas City, MO.

CB&Q:

Galesburg, IL to Cicero (Chicago), IL.

Galesburg to Creston, IA.

Creston to Lincoln, NE.

I don't know about passenger crew districts, but I can try and find out if the above is insufficient.
 #715888  by 2nd trick op

If memory serves me correctly, IC usually changed crews at Freeport, Ill, Waterloo and Fort Dodge, Iowa. Rock Island had a major yard at Silvis, Ill, not far from its namesake city, and Des Moines, with a crossing of RI's Minneapolis-Kansas City "spine line" would have been a logical mid-point between Silvis and Council Bluffs. CGW's principal hub was at Oelwein, Iowa, but another crew change would have been required between Oelwein and the Omaha gateway.

A Trains article from the summer of 1960 has start-to-finish narration of a ride on Illinois Central's CC-6, the flagship freight of that road's Iowa Division at the time.
Last edited by 2nd trick op on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #718254  by SooLineRob

UPDATE:

Milwaukee Road passenger train crew change points Chicago to Omaha:

Engine Crew:

Chicago - Savanna, IL, - Pery, IA, - Omaha.

Train crew:

Chicago - Cedar Rapids, IA - Omaha.
 #727883  by 2nd trick op

In a previous post on this subject, I made a reference to CRI&P crew changes:
Des Moines, with a crossing of RI's Minneapolis-Kansas City "spine line" would have been a logical mid-point between Silvis and Council Bluffs
I'm fairly certain that the "Short Line (Junction)" in the previous post refers indirectly to the same point, and would like Mr. rrboomer to confirm this, if so.
 #765248  by Engineer Spike

The CB&Q had a crew change point in Ottumwa, IA. Chicago division crews ran Chi-Galesburg, East Ottumwa crews ran Galesb'g- Ottumwa, and West Ottumwa crews went to Creston. I don't know what the passenger crews ran, but I will find out.
 #981996  by Minneapolitan

SooLineRob wrote:Milwaukee Road...

Savanna to Dubuque, IA.

Dubuque to St Paul, MN.
Something about that doesn't seem right. St. Paul to Dubuque is too far, and Dubuque to Savanna is too short. Rather than Dubuque, I believe the correct crew change point on this route is Marquette, Iowa, across from Prairie du Chien, WI. I say "is" because that's still the way it's run in the Iowa Chicago & Eastern, which is former MILW.

It was at Marquette that the line split, with a main to St. Paul and the other main going across Iowa's northern tier through Mason City to Sioux Falls, Mitchell, and on to Rapid City. Today, the IC&E still goes as far west as Spencer, IA. Between Marquette and Mason City, there's a little town called Calmar, IA. Here, this line split again, turning north to Spamtown, USA, Owatonna, Fairbault, and St. Paul. If memory serves me correctly, this was the original line to St. Paul before the river route was completed.
2nd trick op wrote:CGW's principal hub was at Oelwein, Iowa, but another crew change would have been required between Oelwein and the Omaha gateway.
It was Fort Dodge.
 #1066039  by Thunder

You would be correct about Marquette Ia. being the crew change point. Also Spike is correct about the CB&Q Ottumwa jobs.Galesburg still has the pools set as Ottumwa East and Ottumwa West, even though they are all in the Burg now.
 #1381643  by Minneapolitan

Minneapolitan wrote:
2nd trick op wrote:CGW's principal hub was at Oelwein, Iowa, but another crew change would have been required between Oelwein and the Omaha gateway.
It was Fort Dodge.
Oops...I'm full of $h!t. It was Clarion. Fort Dodge seems logical until one learns a little more about how CGW operated its system.