Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2009

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#711122  by Sandy Burton

Whippany is about fice miles from the Morristown RR Station. If the trains run west from Whippany, then the west end of the run probably is about four or five blocks from the station. However, the excursions for Whippany normally run east, almost to the end of the line. So that would be a looong walk just to get to Whippany. I have no idea if you could take a taxi to Whippany or how much it would cost.

Sorry that I don't have more encouraging information.

Sandy
 #711623  by PVRX1

Sorry shape???

Unit ran fine when it was at Tropicana. It was sidelined due to derailment damage, not engine problems. Probably being worked on.

Only 4240 in the batch of five (4216, 4223, 4228, 4231, 4240) was in sorry shape when acquired.

Time will tell.
 #712726  by ns3010

I was just saying that it's not looking too hot right now. If it runs, although it doesn't look that good on the outside, than that's great. If not, but the MnE shops are working on it to make it operable, than that's great too.
 #716579  by apcjr01

Anyone know why this unit with a caboose is parked next to the Mill Tavern in Rockaway Boro? I first saw them there on Saturday, 9/12. They're still there today.
 #716660  by blockline4180

apcjr01 wrote:Anyone know why this unit with a caboose is parked next to the Mill Tavern in Rockaway Boro? I first saw them there on Saturday, 9/12. They're still there today.

I think it was the #19, and I asked this in another thread... I had no idea why.
 #718630  by airman00

I think I know why. I went to the Whippany railroad museum today and my family rode on the caboose train. I though an engine there was going to be the power for the train (website said #21 would pull train) Anyhow #18 showed up with a caboose (#100 I believe) and an sw1200, RRPX #563. The sw1200 switched the cabooses from the siding to the main and hooked them up to the #18 and the one caboose it came in with. After that the #563 was unhooked and the #18 was the power for the caboose train runs today.
9/20/09
 #719451  by PVRX1

Sept 22:

18 working on the Whippany Line, east of Whippany.
19 & 563 at Morristown
487? way back on 4 track outside the shop
22 on the Ridgedale runaround
 #726221  by blockline4180

gravelyfan wrote:M&E 19 and a UP Boxcar going west on NJT over the Passaic River in Newark at 11:05 am Tu 10/13
Anyway you can find out where that car is going??
Thanks!
 #726460  by Angus202

The 19 has cab signals to lead on transit? Aren't these sister TP&W units? I thought #18 and #20 were qualified for NJT and that's that aside from the various amtrak stuff they've assembled (anyone see the FL-9's in the M&E scheme rescue a midtown direct train some years back?!). Can I get some clarity here?
 #730050  by gravelyfan

Angus202 wrote:The 19 has cab signals to lead on transit? Aren't these sister TP&W units? I thought #18 and #20 were qualified for NJT and that's that aside from the various amtrak stuff they've assembled (anyone see the FL-9's in the M&E scheme rescue a midtown direct train some years back?!). Can I get some clarity here?
I checked with a source at M&E and was told that 19 does now in fact have cab signals.

Another interesting item - M&E 18 was spotted going west on the NJT Main line through Paterson around 10:20 am on Friday, presumably was destined to Passaic Jct but was sent up the Main LIne to Ridgewood Junction to reverse down the County to BT, I'm guessing due to single tracking on the Bergen County Line.