Railroad Forums 

• Alco's in need of Preservation

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#686913  by EDM5970

D&H 16 belongs to the Smithsonian. "NKP 190" is a privately owned unit, being restored with private funds. Once the trucks were placed under 16, the ball was in the Smithsonians court; that was the business arrangement with the 190's owner. Not a matter of "the other one gets first dibs" at all-
 #686981  by pablo

Sure it is. Doyle has his hands full with the NKP unit, since that's his baby, and he's done a tremendous amount of work with it. I have a very hard time thinking that if the Smithsonian tomorrow showed up with a couple of trucks and what not, that Doyle would drop everything with the much-closer-to-completed NKP PA and have at it with the shell.

Dave Becker
 #712859  by Alcoman

This poor Alco S-1 may be in line for preservation in the near future. See Photo.
LIRR 417_edited-1.jpg
LIRR 417_edited-1.jpg (121.11 KiB) Viewed 13051 times
 #759287  by airman00

Alcoman wrote:This poor Alco S-1 may be in line for preservation in the near future. See Photo.
LIRR 417_edited-1.jpg
When you say preservation, do you mean to operating condition, (assuming it doesn't run), or just a cosmetic restoration?
 #759691  by mxdata

And it doesn't necessarily have to be either of those choices. "Pretty and perfect" is the preference of railfans, whose primary interest is having the equipment available to be photographed, and many of whom are notorious as a group for not contributing effort or monetary support to museums. Things that are under restoration or even in parts are far more interesting to the general public, who come to the railroad museum for a look at things they cannot see so close-up in their normal access to railroads. And the general public includes entire families, and they spend a lot more money at the museum than most of the railfans ever will, and won't be nearly as fussy about all the small details of the exhibits.

MX
 #760580  by tgibson

All of the Alcos in the Santa Fe Collection currently rotting away and being stripped, out behind the California RR Museum in Sacramento. They were pristine before they came to Sacto...

RSD-15
RS-1
S-2?
 #764780  by tj48

traingeek8223 wrote:Just for fun, let's start a topic about Alco's that YOU think need preservation. No right or wrong answers here. Just opinions. I'll start the ball rolling with some obvious ones:

NYC S1 #100
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=958926

NYC T3a 278
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=958927
This has probably been addressed already but who owns these 2 unique units?
 #768523  by MEC407

Word on the street (via LocoNotes) is that the last M636 built, CN 2338, is at risk of being scrapped. Anyone want to try and save a big MLW?
 #775748  by MEC407

I can't remember, and unfortunately my Yahoo account is messed up and won't let me access the LocoNotes archives. Sorry. :( If anyone here is a LocoNotes member, maybe they could check the archives and find out where the unit currently resides.