Railroad Forums 

• Montréal Street Cars

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#701812  by drewh

Article in last Saturdays Gazette about the closing of the old street car system 50 years ago:
http://www.montrealgazette.com/August+1 ... story.html

Here's a great article in the Gazette from Saturday explaining the proposed new tram routes:
http://www.montrealgazette.com/trams+Mo ... story.html
 #707887  by bellstbarn

Memories of a New York teen visiting Montreal: During August of either 1952 or 1953, Dad brought Mom, my sister, and me on a mostly rail loop: NY, Niagara Falls, Toronto (Bloor PCC's!), Quebec, Mount Washington, Hartford, NY. Immediately after checking into Hotel LaSalle on Rue Ste.-Catherine, we found a sightseeing car and traveled the route in darkness. At some point, I got something in my eye. Washing did not work, so part of the next day was occupied by three confusing stops at hospital emergency rooms. The first hospital was Maternity!
----
At any rate, we rode the long route on S.-Denis to Ahuntsic and the Mountain route(s). We also found the lower-town terminal of heavy interurbans (somewhere around Craig). The cars with indirect headlights, or whatever it was called, fascinated me. Thanks, Dad! He'd be 112.
Joe
 #708134  by drewh

Sounds like a great trip, thanks for sharing. Have any pictures?
 #825878  by aline1969

I love the collection of Montreal cars we have in Maine. Montreal 957, 2052, 2652, observation 2, and Montreal & Southern Counties 604,610,621
 #1342986  by Gerry6309

aline1969 wrote:I love the collection of Montreal cars we have in Maine. Montreal 957, 2052, 2652, observation 2, and Montreal & Southern Counties 604,610,621
One minor error here, the M&SC cars are 504, 610 and 621.

Connecticut Trolley Museum has 3 Montreal Cars 4, 2056 and 2600.

The Canadian National Railway Museum at Delson, PQ, has a large Montreal Collection, including obs. cars 1 and 3. Cars 3 and 4 are much newer than 1 and 2, and have steel frames. The lighted arches are plain while 1 and 2 have cast beavers at the top. 4 also is equipped with portable headlights for operation on CTM's line. 2, 3 and 4 are operational, I don't know the status of 1.

2052 and 2056 are former Springfield, MA cars. Both cars had one platform lengthened when they arrived in Montreal, at which time they became single-ended. The second end was lengthened later when more double-ended cars were needed.

2600 and 2001(at Shore Line) are original double-ended Montreal cars.

Seashore's 957 and 2652 represent the most typical Montreal Car: Single-Ended Rear-entrance Prepayment. These cars were designed to allow crowds to board at stops, and pay their fares while the cars were underway. This sped up service, and spread to many cities in Canada and the US. Delson also has several cars of this type. 957 is an older heavyweight design, while 2652 is a modern lightweight, with automatic acceleration. Both feature an interior where the aisle narrows as you go forward.
 #1347144  by JimBoylan

2001 at Branford (Connecticut) Electric Rwy. Ass'n. - Shore Line Trolley Museum was built single end. It and 3 others of those cars were converted to double end, I think for Rte. 93 Remembrance Rd.
They also have 1972, which stayed single end; older 1402; plow 3152 from Cornwall (Ontario) St. Rwy., originally Montréal; rotary plow 5; and shunter Charlie. Delson may have the other shunter, what was its name?