Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#704165  by Tom6921

With the PA-5 cars coming online and retiring the older equipment, has any museums expressed interest in acquring the old cars or is PATH against having their equipment preserved in museums?

I think that at least 1 or 2 of each set of cars being retired should be preserved. At least if they go to a museum, railfans can photograph them without problems! :wink:
 #704524  by PONYA

The Smithsonian Musem in Washington has 2 PA-1-4 series cars from the 9/11 WTC Terminal. They are intact save for some spray paint related to recovery efforts. They are not on display as of yet
 #706626  by Otto Vondrak

Tom6921 wrote:With the PA-5 cars coming online and retiring the older equipment, has any museums expressed interest in acquring the old cars or is PATH against having their equipment preserved in museums?

I think that at least 1 or 2 of each set of cars being retired should be preserved. At least if they go to a museum, railfans can photograph them without problems! :wink:
Trolley Museum of New York just finished cutting up some old H&M "black" cars because no one was interested in saving them. So what was your plan to save some old PATH cars?

see: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=63651

-otto-
 #707740  by R36 Combine Coach

If anything, I would see PA1 600 and 100-the first two cars of the PA-class delivered in February 1965. There are a few H&M K-cars still running as work units.