Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#692870  by drumz0rz

How many trains, on average are moving about the subway at any given time?

If anyone has some more specific stats, it'd be great. Something like, entire system during rush hour, entire system not during the rush, amount per line at once (say the ACE or 123 as they're quite long)

Just curious, seems like one of those specs that's fun to tell people visiting the city.
 #692885  by Fan Railer

drumz0rz wrote:How many trains, on average are moving about the subway at any given time?

If anyone has some more specific stats, it'd be great. Something like, entire system during rush hour, entire system not during the rush, amount per line at once (say the ACE or 123 as they're quite long)

Just curious, seems like one of those specs that's fun to tell people visiting the city.
Car assignment Index:
http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/index.html
Last edited by Fan Railer on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #693128  by b&p rupture

I thought the original poster was referring to number of trains actually in customer service, (running down the road), at any given moment, at different times of the day/night.

Oh, and while dated 06/28/09, the page that BMT/IND link goes to was incorrect as of three days later, 07/01/09, with the V losing all but 1 or 2 trains of the R46s.
 #694862  by jtr1962

NYC Transit has roughly 6000 units. Let's say the average train length is 8 units. That's 750 trains, and I'll bet all of them are in use at one time during the rush hours. Not an exact answer, but it gets you in the ballpark.
 #694986  by Fan Railer

jtr1962 wrote: That's 750 trains, and I'll bet all of them are in use at one time during the rush hours.
seriously? i have to say that's the most uneducated guess i have heard in a while
there are always spares in the yards and other cars that are in the shops for maintainance.

have you ever heard of a "spare factor"?
for NYCT it's approx 10-12% of the fleet.

and plus, it is physically impossible to fit every single train in revenue service at once due to the antiquated signal system. once CBTC is system wide in 2050, then consider it.
oh, and by then, the R160's will probably be in the retirement stage lol.
b/p rupture wrote:Oh, and while dated 06/28/09, the page that BMT/IND link goes to was incorrect as of three days later, 07/01/09, with the V losing all but 1 or 2 trains of the R46s.
and about the date, that table is updated about once a month, so bear with us.
 #694992  by Fan Railer

drumz0rz wrote:So according to that link there are for example 24 PM 3 trains?
yes. the attached documents represent the # of trains running on the system in their respective line at the given times.
and i will probably replace both links with one that directs to the index of previous car assignment documentations for easy up to date checking.