Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#670543  by gjk1716

FYI, some of the extras in the remake are NYC Transit employees. While I was still working there, a flyer was circulated inviting employees to participate in the movie. We figured the parts would be as Transit workers, but one guy tried out was cast as a cop.

-G-
 #670925  by ExCon90

A friend of mine just sent me a clipping of a story by Randy Kennedy in the May 3 New York Times, page 3, jumps to 22, about the making of the movie. It is highly detailed and portrays the TA in a very favorable light -- a refreshing change from a lot of media coverage of transportation. I'd link it if I knew how.
 #681990  by donredhead

It time for the game of Hey Thats Not Prototype!. Just like Money Train and countless other Hollywood movie Its time for me to go to the Movie Theater with a clipboard and start checking off where they take artistic licence! Like in Money Train the tokens are taken out in NY in Brinx Trucks but....Washinton Metro does have a token-money train
 #682881  by zablocki22

Saw the movie Saturday night. In the 1974 version, they cut the first car and operated it further south away from the rest of the train. Here they cut the car and run the remainder of the train back north towards the station. Problem is they show the train crossing over to the other track while on the control board it shows the train backing up on the same track.

Later on after the money is received, Travolta wants all the signals clear from 68th street to Coney Island. (train is supposedly between 42nd and 34th???) Why north to 68th??? In any case I'm wondering what's the track connection for the Lexington Line that would enable it to connect to the Coney Island line???

When the single car later is on the move (with the hijackers off of it), the car is speeding out of the tunnel into the elevated section. It flies by the old Shea Stadium. I guess they were shooting that sequence on the Flushing line.

Then the hijackers are looking for the Roosevelt tunnel??? Shows an old subway car and an elevator shaft into the Waldorf Astoria hotel. Was that the tunnel for FDR back in the 1940's?? Wasn't it off of the Metro-North (New York Central) tracks in the Grand Central station or was there one for the subway also?

The movie was OK from an entertainment standpoint. If I got a dollar for every time Travolta said the 'F' word, I had have pretty full pockets right now.

I liked the original.

Vincent
 #683329  by railfan365

I haven't seen the movie yet. HOWEVER, based on trailers and publicity, I can cite a couple of technical bloopers also. For one, the cars on the Lexington Avenue line no longer include single units - thus, one car cannot be conveniently unhitched and hijacked by itself.
Also, an electronical side marker will not display Pelham 1-2-3, the internal lingo for a train that was scheduled to leave Pelham Bay Termianl at 1:23.

I might see it anyway, but I expect to not like it as much as I did the original.
 #683374  by r160 F Train

I can't wait to see that movie. I think it will really compare to the old movie, which I saw yesterday on channel 11 (CW11)

In the old movie, the 6 train was an r22
In the new movie, the 6 train is an r142A

Also, there will be a lot more action, shooting, and better special effects.

The plot is still the same, no changes, and I can't wait to see the movie!! :-D
 #683394  by donredhead

YES THERE ARE CHANGES. In the 1974 movie it was a subway cop who played the hero and the ransom was ONLY 1,000,000 (subway fare was 35 cents)---A switch key was used to override the lines--In 1988 remake with Olmos (or was it 98?) The ransom was upped to 3,000,000 and the NYC Subway fare was 1.50 and in 2009 here with John Travolta who is probably old enough to have Pulled off a hostage situation in the 1974 (Welcome Back Kotter) 1988 (Series of B Movies and Scientology sect) and 2009( Has to weigh more then 200lbs) the ransom is only 5,000,000 which is a bargin compared to being robbed by the NYTC token clerks at 2.50 a ride and 10.00 for a all day pass.
 #683652  by oknazevad

The ransom in the new one is $10,000,000, not $5mil (which was the ransom in the '98 remake). But it's really just a ruse (used to pay the other gunmen). Ryder's real plan is to make a fortune short selling on Wall Street during the inevitable market panic.

Also, the side LED signs never actually say "Pelham 123", that was just for the TV ads. The "Roosevelt spur" was indeed a New York Central track, not a subway one, and there is no connection between the Lex and Coney Island (directly, any way). So there are more than a few places where they took liberties with technical reality. But over all, it kept quite a bit of the spirit of the' 74 original, while also feeling a lot like many other Tony Scott films. Over all, it was entertaining, and kinda cool.
 #683665  by pennsy

According to the critics of the movies, the new one is not as good as the original and they gave a "pass" to the new one. Old story, a remake is never as good as the original.
 #684079  by Otto Vondrak

donredhead wrote:Pelham is station on the 1 and 2 and 3 lines?
pennsy wrote:Nope, Pelham is a line that runs through the Bronx, mostly.
One of the terminals of the "6" is Pelham Bay Park. The other terminal is Brooklyn Bridge. A train departing Pelham Bay at 1:23pm becomes "Pelham 123." The return trip would be identified as "Brooklyn Bridge 2:41," for instance.

Here's a map of the "6 Line."

http://mta.info/nyct/service/sixline.htm

-otto-
 #684081  by Otto Vondrak

oknazevad wrote:The "Roosevelt spur" was indeed a New York Central track
Almost fiction. Grand Central Terminal and the Waldorf Astoria are blocks from each other. One of the Grand Central yard tracks does run along a leading platform under the hotel, said to be used for VIP's with private cars, and rumored to be used by the wheelchair-bound FDR. Today part of the Metro-North system, historically New York Central, and never ever having any connection to the New York City Subway. Ever.

-otto-