Railroad Forums 

• Whippany Railway Museum Official Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#13974  by james1787

Admin Note: I'm going to hijack this post as the earliest on the present forum to serve as the "official" location for the Museum thread.

Website of the Whippany Railway Museum

This thread is for discussion of the Whippany Railway Museum.

Original Post:
I'm not sure this is the correct place to post this..

Was the train station at the Whippany Rail Museum ever used for revenue passenger service? I was always curious if it was..
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total. Reason: Repurpose Thread

#14029  by Jihn z

As far as I can remember I believe Whippany was a stop on the first M&E, theres a nice little bit of history on the museum's site. http://www.whippanyrailwaymuseum.org/wrym/history/
In 1967, the excursion railroad funded the movement of the freight house across four tracks to its present site across from the passenger station.
That would lead me to believe that it was infact a passenger station at one point.

Check out the site...

#14128  by Al Holleuffer

Thw Whippany Station served as a passenger station until the end of passenger service in April of 1928 and continued to serve as the company offfices until 1969 when they relocted operations to the enginhouse in Morristown.
 #54575  by njt4172

Does anyone know if M&E plans on running special passenger trips to Roseland for the Pumpkin Festival the first weekend in October?>? I heard they will have some caboose hops, but since the tracks and the Passaic River bridge have been rebuilt it would make sense to run special trips up to Eisenhower Parkway. I think the last time passenger trips went this far east was 1986 or so....

Thanks,
Steve

#54588  by Tri-State Tom

Steve -

The two bridge projects and track work aren't finished yet, are they ?

#58391  by NJ Vike

I went but they didn't get near Roseland. The closest would be a mile or so before Eisenhower Parkway.

Ken

#58414  by denvillerailfan

Yeh, My wife and I were very disappointed. We were also hoping to catch the new bridges, but we stopped not far after clearing Deforest Ave. Never got that close to River RD.

I got there just in tome to watch the 12:30 and made the 2:45 trip...
Anyone else there?

I'll be posting some pics shortly.

#58419  by Lackawanna484

denvillerailfan wrote:Yeh, My wife and I were very disappointed. We were also hoping to catch the new bridges, but we stopped not far after clearing Deforest Ave. Never got that close to River RD.

Anyone else there?

------------------------

The track is in, the ballast is down, and the line looks OK from DeForest Avenue east to Merry Lane, but I don't think it's been returned to service yet.

I noticed that the rails between Ridgedale Avenue and DeForest have been marked with various paint sprays and some ties have been marked. I assume that's for the rail replacement yet to come.

(This will be one heck of a right of way when it gets done!)

#58548  by njt4172

Lackawanna484 wrote:
denvillerailfan wrote:Yeh, My wife and I were very disappointed. We were also hoping to catch the new bridges, but we stopped not far after clearing Deforest Ave. Never got that close to River RD.

Anyone else there?

------------------------

The track is in, the ballast is down, and the line looks OK from DeForest Avenue east to Merry Lane, but I don't think it's been returned to service yet.

I noticed that the rails between Ridgedale Avenue and DeForest have been marked with various paint sprays and some ties have been marked. I assume that's for the rail replacement yet to come.

(This will be one heck of a right of way when it gets done!)

Lackawanna,

Are you sure the tracks have not been returned to service? Someone mentioned that a string of tankers went west out of B&G last week. I do know that the RS-1 went west. So your saying the tracks aren't "officially" in service yet??

Thanks,
Steve

#58558  by denvillerailfan

Official or not, I caught the string heading west through Whippany on Sept, 29th about 10:05. I had just past the museum when I heard the horn. By the time I pulled over, the engine (#18 I believe) had passed west through the crossing. http://community.webshots.com/photo/996 ... 6367kArrXC

The RS is over @ Murray RD, and all equipment has been removed from the Roseland area (except the cars B&G are currently using. The line north of 280 was completly clear on the 29th.

It would have been great to run to Roseland... :-(

#58744  by Lackawanna484

It's possible the line is back in service, I just haven't seen any trains, and have seen the Railway Construction trucks at River Road within the past week or so.

#67624  by Al Holleuffer

The switcher you saw is one of the two former Rahway Valley RR GE 70-Tonners, No. 16, owned by United Railroad Historical Society and on loan to the Whippany Railway Museum. It will be restored to its original maroon livery with yellow stirping and lettering and MAY be restored to full operation. It was moved over to Whippany last week from the URHS storage site in the old Morristwon passenger yard where it had been store along with its sister 70-Tonner No. 17 along with a lotof URHS' other equipment.

#67651  by EDM5970

How did it get there? I had looked at both units, on behalf of a shortline, maybe five years ago, and there was (at that time) no way to move them out of MMC. Transit would not move them out of the shop area on their own wheels (friction bearings, possibly damaged) and there was an issue with bridge clearences that prevented taking them out by truck. What changed?