Railroad Forums 

• Cardinal discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#64612  by AmtrakFan

Amtrak288 wrote:Kim, I was on the Cardinal on Tuesday, September 28th, I boarded in Chicago and rode to DC. One interesting quote that came from one of the Usher's in Chicago Union Station before we boarded the train: "Please do not leave any luggage unattended on the platforms or it will be confiscated by a member of the Amtrak Police or a thief, whichever comes first."

I will have a complete travelogue on my site whenever I can get enough time to finish scanning all the slides I took on the trip!

Geno Dailey's Amtrak Photo Archive
http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix
Mr. Dailey,
Hope to see your Travelogue soon also you really have a good sight.

AmtrakFan

#65254  by cbaker

The late-breaking decision I mentioned in my earlier post to retain checked baggage service on the Cardinal has suffered a reversal due to a lack of baggage cars and several other factors. As of today, word is "no checked baggage".

#65255  by AmtrakFan

cbaker wrote:The late-breaking decision I mentioned in my earlier post to retain checked baggage service on the Cardinal has suffered a reversal due to a lack of baggage cars and several other factors. As of today, word is "no checked baggage".
I thought they had enough cars without M & E? Apperntly not.

AmtrakFan
 #66410  by jp1822

Well I nearly had my parents booked on the Cardinal for their return trip (they are utilizing Amtrak as their mode of transportation on a round trip from coast to coast), until I realized the "no baggage car" issue. No way they are getting 2 suitcases and 2 carry-ons in a bedroom (formerly known as a Viewliner Deluxe room). They are on a 4 week trip, so they can't pack any lighter. They wanted to take the Cardinal, as they have never been on it. Instead, I've booked them on the Lake Shore heading eastbound and westbound. I can't convince them to send the luggage on the Lake Shore and then they take the Cardinal with their carry-on bags. That didn't fly too well. Is there any other options for sleeping car passengers to put their luggage? They couldn't believe a long distance overnight train like this didn't have checked baggage! They kept asking "why not" and "how come" and statements of disbelief!

And I agree - with all the baggage cars discontinued with M&E, there should be two for the Cardinal - plus a diner, but that's another story.

#66489  by RMadisonWI

Well, for the most part, "M&E" didn't use baggage cars, but instead used MHCs (embargoed from most railroads and subsequently withdrawn from service), non-HEP-equipped boxcars, refrigerated cars, and roadrailers. None of which were particularly suited to checked baggage service.

Perhaps with the rebuilding of Superliner smoking coaches into baggage coaches, they can spare a car or two from a western train and put it out east on the Cardinal.
 #66538  by jp1822

Quite a few regular baggage cars were being used around the system when the regular MHC cars were banned - a couple of years ago. For example, the Three Rivers was often running with multiple baggage cars to handle express shipments.

#66560  by Gilbert B Norman

Lest we note that the 1700's, or those Baggage cars rebuilt from ex-SP "Sunset" Coaches and Sleepers with the center car overhead door, were delivered by Budd during 1950.

I believe there are some in the fleet even older; very few younger.

"Show me the way to go home...
I'm tired and I want to go to bed"
 #111057  by updrumcorpsguy

I'm taking the Cardinal from New York to Lafeyette in May, and was wondering about the DC stop. I would like to at least get a peek at the DC Union Station, which I have not seen since it was the "National Visitor's Center" back in the 70's.

I know that if I miss the train, I'm out of luck, but the timetable says we'll be there 20 minutes. Would I have time to dash in? How far are the tracks from the main station?

#111066  by AmtrakFan

I wouldn't try to get in if I were you just in case it left.

#111114  by RMadisonWI

They have to change engines in DC, and that takes a couple of minutes at least (i.e. 10-15). Bottom line: it won't leave before the scheduled departure time, but if it's running late, time will be tight and the crew will likely be rushing to make the station stop as short as possible.

Another consideration is that you'd be on the lower level tracks, and the station is on the upper level. You'd be dealing with going against the flow of passengers trying to board the train. I'm not sure how enthusiastic the crew would be to having you wander into the station.
 #111115  by Noel Weaver

According to the current timetable, train 50 stops at Washington only to
discharge passengers and does not pick up passengers. That being the
case, the train can leave when it is ready. You might have a problem
getting back down to the train as it does not receive passengers at DC.
If you get in there on time or within reasonable time, suggest you get off
and arrange a stopover. You do that with the conductor when he/she
collects your ticket. There is another northbound train within an hour or
so that you could take north.
Washington is not too busy at that hour of the evening so an engine
change could take place fairly quickly.
Noel Weaver

#111117  by RMadisonWI

He's going the other way.

#111203  by matthewsaggie

In my last attempt to get off and into the station for a newspaper, security made it a real pain in the you know what to get back to the platform- and I had my ticket stubs in hand- be careful if you get off.

#111265  by Noel Weaver

RMadisonWI wrote:He's going the other way.
Please accept my apologies, did not read the post correctly. You should
likely have time enough for the change but as the poster stated, security
might be a problem.
I would suggest you go down to DC on 185 which is a little over an hour
ahead of 51. Would give you a little time to browse the station and the
immediate area, pick up breakfast, timetables etc.
You could also spring for the Acela Express if you desire.
Noel Weaver
 #139825  by Jersey_Mike

Hey, can someone tell me the route of the Cardinal as it goes west to Chicago. Specifically which CSX subdivisions it traverses.

So far I have Washington SD to North Mountain SD To Alleghany SD To the New River to SD Kanawh SD To Russell To Northern To Cincinatti Cinc Terminal to Indinapolis SD?? After that I am lost

Thank you so much.