Railroad Forums 

• NYGL and Port Jervis roundhouse area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#503785  by Steve F45

the excusions westward im sure can be worked out between the 2 railroads.
 #503858  by henry6

joshuahouse wrote:Otto did your source also speak of excursions westward from PJ? I think I remember the lease for the line from NS either specified that those were not allowed or specified an insurance premium that was astronomical.
Yes, the lease terms was posted at one time on railroad.net. NS agreement prohibits passenger services. No insurance premium was discussed.
 #503861  by henry6

Steve F45 wrote:the excusions westward im sure can be worked out between the 2 railroads.

SURE? SURE!!!

#503863  by Otto Vondrak

joshuahouse wrote:Otto did your source also speak of excursions westward from PJ? I think I remember the lease for the line from NS either specified that those were not allowed or specified an insurance premium that was astronomical.
Nope, becuase I only asked about roundhouse reconstruction. If you want to discuss potential passenger excursions, you may want to start a new thread. I think we discussed the why's and why not's previously.

-otto-

#503952  by lvrr325

FWIW, were I building a recreated roundhouse for a shop for what will be a visible operation and tourist hauler, I would plan in some kind of walkway that I could easily rope off to allow people to tour.

Sort of like they've done at a lot of the Nascar tracks in the garage area, giving people hallways with windows where they can look in on the teams in action -

#503961  by D.Carleton

During the "open house" last year the kind folks from NYGL indicated they wanted to rebuild five stalls of the house and Walter Rich was amenable to the idea of excursions even though they couldn't get something worked out in time for the open house. Now that Mr. Rich is gone we shall see how amenable NYSW is.

#503995  by oibu

I don't think it matters what NYS&W/CNYK thinks about excursions... it's still NS's railroad.

#504044  by Erie-Lackawanna

Well let's clear up one thing before it gets too far out of hand: the CNYK/NSR lease agreement specifically DOES permit dinner and excursion passenger trains, subject to a 25 mph maximum speed, and provision of $100 million in liability insurance coverage. What is NOT permitted is the operation of regularly scheduled passenger service.

If NYGL wants to run excursions, if CNYK is amenable and they can work out an agreement, then the excursions could run.

I've posted the link on rr.net before, but here it is again: NSR/CNYK lease. Page 28 of the PDF file, top of the page.

Jim

#504087  by SecaucusJunction

Haha From the wording of the lease, it almost sounds like NS is trying to make it so hard to ride an excursion train over the route that people wouldnt even try. Maybe Jimmy Wilson thinks otherwise.

#504104  by Erie-Lackawanna

That's exactly what NSR wants. As for Jim Wilson, I think that only he should speak as to his intentions.

Jim

#505072  by northjerseybuff

Too bad the original tower can't be restored..where was that located? any photos online?
 #659971  by greenwichlirr

So let me get this straight. The ground is "dirty" from the property being a railroad yard, so they are now going to spend money to clean it up and make it a railroad yard?

Are "modern" RR yards really that clean?
 #660001  by Otto Vondrak

greenwichlirr wrote:So let me get this straight. The ground is "dirty" from the property being a railroad yard, so they are now going to spend money to clean it up and make it a railroad yard? Are "modern" RR yards really that clean?
They probably have to remediate some of the coal, oil and fuel contaminated soil from the site... that's my best guess.

-otto-