Railroad Forums 

• KCS Steam Locomotives

• Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.
Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#644169  by Thomas I

Hello!

I am looking for a Kansas City Southern steam locomotive roster. Is there someone available in the net or has sombody one, and can send me a copy?
If not, I have the following question:
Who manufactured the classes M-22, E-37, D-25 and G and when ( year)?

Thanks
Thomas
 #648877  by riffian

"Steam Locomotives of the Kansas City Southern" by Donald G. Campbell, is easily obtainable and at a very reasonable price (Paper). Do a google search or try Bookfinder.com. There was no M class at all. Various D classes were 4-6-0s built by a variety of builders over many years. E Class were 2-8-0s, the largest group, E-3, 48 engines built by Pittsburgh and Baldwin between 1906 and 1908. The G class were two series of 2-8-8-0s totalling 17 engines and one class of 0-6-6-0 with 12 engines.

The above book does not include Louisiana and Arkansas locos which were included after 1940.
 #649001  by CarterB

From http://www.american-rails.com/kansas-ci ... tives.html

The KCS operated a wide range of steam locomotives with its largest types including 2-10-4 Texas', 2-10-2 Santa Fes, 2-8-8-0 Mallets. Today, none of these large steamers survive and only one overall is known to exist, a little 0-8-0 switcher on display in Pittsburg, Kansas.

Class D-25

The KCS's Class D-25 included its roster of 4-6-0 Ten-Wheelers.

Class E

The KCS's Class E included its roster of 2-8-0 Consolidations.

Class F-2

The KCS's Class F-2 included its roster of 0-6-0 switchers.

Class G

The KCS's Class G included its fleet of Mallets, 0-6-6-0s and 2-8-8-0s.

Class H

The KCS's Class H included its roster of 4-6-2 Pacifics.

Class J

The KCS's Class J included its roster of 2-10-4 Texas Types.

Class K

The KCS's Class K included its roster of 0-8-0 switchers.

Class L

The KCS's Class L included its roster of 2-10-2 Santa Fes.

Class M-22

The KCS's Class M-22 included its roster of 2-8-2 Mikados.

For other rosters see:
http://orion.math.iastate.edu/jdhsmith/term/sluskcs.htm
 #649940  by Thomas I

riffian wrote:"Steam Locomotives of the Kansas City Southern" by Donald G. Campbell, is easily obtainable and at a very reasonable price (Paper)
"Not available in the European Union at the moment" says amazon. But they have it used - for $62.04 (!!!). :( :(
A new one $14.95 in the States is very reasonable - a used one for $62.04 is usury.

It seems I have to made a wish-list and to travel to the USA to buy books... :-D