Railroad Forums 

• Remains of the line to Attica

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#643150  by jgallaway81

Lewis' book implies that the Prison decided to switch to fuel oil for heating; and that was a major decision for NOT rebuilding the line to Attica, as it removed the last main customer.

The bad part of finding any part of a reference book in error is that it calls into question the accuracy of the remaining facts.

His book can only be as good as the facts he researches, but if those facts themselves are in error, it taints the book as a whole.
 #643382  by BSOR Patarak

As Jason said, I had heard that the prison had switched over to Natural Gas instead of coal for the power plant prior to the A&A leaving Attica. It was a factor in not rebuilding, though I don't know how much traffic actually went into the prison. The tipple inside the prison was removed in the 1980's.

As for Westinghouse, they were one of the most modern foundries for it's time. Westinghouse was into many things and produced a good deal for the military at that plant. As for shipments on the A&A, some for sure was raw pig iron that came off the PRR at Arcade destined for there.

Another bit of traffic that the A&A handled to Attica was feed traffic for the Godfrey Mill. They were actually a customer of the Erie, but they owned stock in the A&A and routed what ever they could over the A&A so they would get a portion of the revenue from the routing.

Pat
 #644548  by BSOR Patarak

At point 19, the A&A did indeed try several times to keep the creek in line. In fact, they even tried dumping a scrap car over the bank to push the water back. Look at the barn and house to the left just beyond the creek. They appear to still be there from the bird's eye view south of 19! I wonder if there are any remains of the box car buried there?

I put this together as an animated GIF with 3 phases of pushing the car over. My browser only shows it once and stops though. The pictures are dated April 15, 1937
 #644553  by BSOR Patarak

As for the question as to what rail is left. There is the remains of another switch. What we left behind is pretty over grown, with large trees growing around the rails.
 #644657  by ctclark1

It would be interesting to get into the little nub sticking out there and see if any parts are still visible or if they got completely buried by the silt...
And, yes, those look to be the buildings right next to point 18 at the 98 crossing... In which case based on the apparent angles of the pics, then yes, the creek most certainly moved west there. The buildings appear to be straight on a right angle, if not angled a bit away (from barn to house)... Can you imagine the operating costs of continuously replacing bridges there if they hadn't abandoned the line?!? Or putting in one heck of a retaining wall to try and keep it where it was...That'd be almost 100 yards of retaining wall based on the path the creek takes right now..

BTW, did I get the location right on the new numbering for the piles driven into the creek, near point 17?

You guys are really making me want to walk this now too! I might have to take some time off from work this summer.
 #644723  by Benjamin Maggi

A hike would be interesting. Since some of the trek would be on private property I am not sure what could actually be gone over. I am assuming that the A&A doesn't own the actual right-of-way anymore. However, for the sake of history SOMEONE should records the remains now of the line (or at least the interesting features) before nature overcomes even more of the area. It has already been 52 years.... in another 10 or so it might all be gone!
 #644749  by thebigham

BSOR Patarak wrote:At point 19, the A&A did indeed try several times to keep the creek in line. In fact, they even tried dumping a scrap car over the bank to push the water back. Look at the barn and house to the left just beyond the creek. They appear to still be there from the bird's eye view south of 19! I wonder if there are any remains of the box car buried there?

I put this together as an animated GIF with 3 phases of pushing the car over. My browser only shows it once and stops though. The pictures are dated April 15, 1937
Thanks, Pat!

There are definitely remains of pilings in the creek there. I used to play in the creek there back in the 80s and I didn't see any remains of a boxcar. I haven't been back to that spot in years since my parents don't live in Attica anymore.
 #648849  by BR&P

I might have to take some time off from work this summer.
Not a good idea. If you want to do this, right now is the time to go. It is amazing how much more can be seen when the trees and bushes are bare and there's no grass. As soon as things start getting green you can miss a lot. If you wait until summer you can be standing 5 feet from something and not see it.
 #648899  by thebigham

BR&P wrote:
I might have to take some time off from work this summer.
Not a good idea. If you want to do this, right now is the time to go. It is amazing how much more can be seen when the trees and bushes are bare and there's no grass. As soon as things start getting green you can miss a lot. If you wait until summer you can be standing 5 feet from something and not see it.
I'll be home April 17-18. I can show people the Attica area.
 #648974  by RussNelson

BSOR Patarak wrote:At point 19, the A&A did indeed try several times to keep the creek in line. In fact, they even tried dumping a scrap car over the bank to push the water back. Look at the barn and house to the left just beyond the creek. They appear to still be there from the bird's eye view south of 19! I wonder if there are any remains of the box car buried there?

Dunno why that GIF wasn't being animated, because there were three frames in it and it was marked to be animated. Try this file:
 #649157  by TB Diamond

Attica Prison was still using coal as late as 13 September 1971. The "coal gang" unloaded the hopper cars and the assignment was a preferred job with the prisoners as they were afforded regular showers.
 #649186  by ctclark1

BR&P wrote: If you want to do this, right now is the time to go.
thebigham wrote:I'll be home April 17-18. I can show people the Attica area.
I'm at my apartment all the time, overlooking the NS line just east of the 98 bridge. Like I said I've also been wandering in the back side of the park and the old westinghouse plant before, but it was winter then, and years ago....

Problem is I'll likely be working 6-7 days/wk all summer, with little chance to take extra days off :-/

Oh well, maybe next spring... If you guys go I want to see lots of pics! lol And if you happen to be in the Attica area when I'm off let me know maybe I'll come grace you with my presence...