Railroad Forums 

• "Let Conrail Be Conrail"

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#626228  by rtfoley

What did the old "Let Conrail be Conrail" bumper stickers look like? I tried searching for an image on Google, but I couldn't find one.

What colors were they? Were they just text? Did they have the can opener logo?

If someone could scan an image or post a photo, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks!
 #632798  by scharnhorst

the Stickers were Blue and white I don't rember much about them my self but on occation a button dose show up on ebay and they just say "let conrail be conrail" on them with out any logos.
 #633811  by JoeBas

I have one on the window of my bedroom back home... I can see if I can get my folks to take a picture and send it down.
 #635436  by Conrail Cleveland East

Some of those old bumper stickers are still around.I seen one for sale for $5.00 at last years WNYRHS November train show in Hamburg,NY..Needless to say,it was there on Saturday and gone by Sunday..
 #640274  by TBRED

ConrailGirl wrote:love to have one of those! :-D
Would love to see what it says put into action.......
 #640409  by ConrailGirl

i took the pic that was put up & edited it & put it on my myspace profile! :P
 #641139  by conrail71

I've seen a few items with the "Let Conrail be Conrail" slogan on it. I've got a button and a hand lantern that have it on there. I saw a vinyl covered foam cushion that was in pretty bad shape at a train show. I didn't buy it because the price was too high (i thought).
Mike
 #641695  by scharnhorst

Anyone know of any cars that had the "Let Conrail Be Conrail" slogan on them??
 #647645  by GOLDEN-ARM

We had several different kinds of these. There were round ones, about 2 1/2" in diameter, and smaller ones we used to stick in the cabs, and around the offices. The round ones were white, with blue lettering, and had a loco on them. I sold the last of mine on ebay, a while back, to a paramedic, in Philly. I ran off a bunch of "Let Conrail be Lehigh Valley" stickers, and plastered them all over the NJCT. The Valley guys loved 'em. The rest of the guys, were not so amused....... :P
 #651622  by Otto Vondrak

scharnhorst wrote:Anyone know of any cars that had the "Let Conrail Be Conrail" slogan on them??
No, it was strictly a "grassroots" campaign among the employees, not an official communication to be applied to equipment.
 #651944  by QB 52.32

Otto Vondrak wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:Anyone know of any cars that had the "Let Conrail Be Conrail" slogan on them??
No, it was strictly a "grassroots" campaign among the employees, not an official communication to be applied to equipment.
Otto-

"Let Conrail be Conrail" was far more than a grassroots campaign amongst the employees. While the company did not adopt a slogan, the management, lead by Stan Crane, and Conrail's organized labor mounted a vigorous fight-to-the-death campaign against NS. And, for folks prone to knock CSX and John Snow, I have to believe he was brought in by Hays Watkins, CSX's CEO, to fight vigorously (and successfully) behind the scenes in Republican circles to squash this deal, which would have outflanked CSX in a very big way. "Let Conrail Be Conrail" was the public manifestation, organized by Conrail's labor organizations and encouraged by its management, of a massive battle using job-loss threats as the political lever to get this deal squashed.
 #1304884  by deadhead

I know I'm 5 years late to the party. But I worked for conrail at that time and have one of the buttons that were passed out for us to wear. I would think it may be a more rare item than the bumper sticker. The button is white with blue writing stating Let Conrail Be Conrail.