Railroad Forums 

• Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN: Metro Transit commuter rail

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#642800  by Kaback9

How is service going to be ran and when does service officialy begin? I have family in the Minneapolis metro are and may have to pay them a visit.
 #643040  by superbad

I know it's MP36/40's and bombardier cars.. This is about the time that the passenger cars should state taking delivery, I know they have at least one locomotive already... this seems to be a tough one to find anything out about..
 #667684  by mtuandrew

Kaback9 wrote:So has anything been going on with this project?
Yes. :wink:
superbad wrote:is there anybody up there who can get some pictures?
If I remember my camera tomorrow, I'll see about getting pictures in Minneapolis and maybe Fridley, Coon Rapids or Anoka.

EDIT: Sorry, I've been busier than expected. I'll take pictures eventually, but haven't gotten down that way yet.
 #671520  by Komachi

I'd be more than happy to, but I live about two-and-a-half hours south-southeast of the Metro and I don't get up there as often as I'd like.

Might be going up sometime in June for a Twins game, and the "Back to the Fifties" car show, so I'll see what I can do, but I can't make any promises.

BTW, Don't know if anyone else noticed, but the episode of "Dirty Jobs" that was done at Boise featured a Northstar locomotive. It was the unit they let Mike "drive."
 #672737  by mtuandrew

Here we go! I was out and about in Minneapolis today, and got a few shots. This'll be a few posts, so bear with me here.

-looking straight south towards Target Field and the Downtown Station
Target Field Station 1.jpg
-a closer view, showing the upper station on 5th St. (the curved metal structure, with a sign that says "Target Field Station") as well as the Commuter Rail platform below
Target Field Station 3.jpg
-a view to the northeast, with three tracks extending at least as far as the Washington Ave. bridge
Target Field Station 4.jpg
 #672741  by mtuandrew

A few more pictures for you. Regarding the Fridley station, this stop received funding late in the plan, and is playing catch-up to the others. Coon Rapids - Riverdale, Anoka, Elk River and Big Lake will be complete by later this year for the line's opening ceremony. There's more pictures of construction on http://www.northstarcorridor.com/, as well.

-a better view of the upper station, behind the light rail line
Target Field Station 5.jpg
-the light rail shelters, just southeast of the round station
Target Field Station 6.jpg
-finally, the Fridley station site - lots of earthmoving, but no station facilities yet.
Fridley Station Under Construction.jpg
 #688596  by mtuandrew

Still no word on when Northstar service will officially start, but according to the Anoka County News (http://www.anokacounty.us) there's been more progress on the line. Firstly, the coaches have started arriving from the Bombardier facility in New York - the first two arrived early in June, and sixteen more will be showing up shortly. Perhaps I'll manage to take pictures of one or two of the test trains, which ought to be traversing the corridor shortly. Also, the Northstar Corridor Development Agency will be meeting in July to set the potential fares. At the moment, this is their proposed fare schedule:

Fares to Minneapolis (one-way):
Big Lake - $7
Elk River - $5.50
Anoka - $4
Coon Rapids - $4
Fridley - $3.25
 #688607  by Kaback9

Andrew,

Thanks for keeping us posted on what goes on, I have family out there so I have always kept an eye on rail operations in the state and it will be great to visit and be able to shoot a passenger train other than the EB.
 #689024  by mtuandrew

Kaback9 wrote:Andrew,

Thanks for keeping us posted on what goes on, I have family out there so I have always kept an eye on rail operations in the state and it will be great to visit and be able to shoot a passenger train other than the EB.
No problem, Brandon! We're definitely looking forward to the service being opened, and preferably more besides.

Speaking of, there was another article in the Anoka County News about the Northern Lights Express, the state's attempt to resurrect the Arrowhead/North Star service along the BNSF ex-GN line to Duluth. They'll be starting work on the environmental impact statement this July as well, though there's yet no bonding support for the project as a whole. Proposed stations as listed in the article are Minneapolis - Ballpark, Coon Rapids - Foley Blvd. (not yet under construction), Cambridge, Hinckley, Superior (WI), and Duluth.
superbad wrote:I never knew bombardier built the bi-levels in NYS? I thought they build them in north bay and thunder bay?
I think you're right - somewhere I'd heard that they just do final assembly in Plattsburgh.