Railroad Forums 

• Midvale Yard closed?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#638564  by Urban D Kaye

Was back in my old neighborhood briefly this weekend and swung by the Conrail Shared Assets Midvale Yard. I had expected to see a few lonesome boxcars and maybe an aging Geep. What I saw was...nothing. I mean, nothing. Not only was there yard entirely empty, but the building was locked and boarded-up. The fence was gone, as were the Conrail "Private Property - No Trespassing" signs. Apparently the yard is closed, tho the main is still traveled by Septa's R8 Chestnut Hill West line.

Can anyone confirm? When was the yard closed? What happened to the transfer job that ran between Midvale and Falls yards? Is TastyKake still a rail customer?

Any answers appreciated.
-Charlie
 #641756  by RDG467

The yard closed when the Budd plant did, which was at least 2 years ago. They moved production to a plant in Michigan.

I *think* Tastykake is getting served from West Falls at the moment, although a replacement for the Hunting Park plant is being constructed in South Phila on the NW portion of the Navy Yard. Not sure when that plant is supposed to start production, although I think it will be later this year.
 #642079  by Urban D Kaye

RDG467 -
Thanks. Glad I got the few photos I did when the yard was working. I believe you're right about Tastykake opening the new plant in late 09.
 #670398  by glennk419

Urban D Kaye wrote:Was back in my old neighborhood briefly this weekend and swung by the Conrail Shared Assets Midvale Yard. I had expected to see a few lonesome boxcars and maybe an aging Geep. What I saw was...nothing. I mean, nothing. Not only was there yard entirely empty, but the building was locked and boarded-up. The fence was gone, as were the Conrail "Private Property - No Trespassing" signs. Apparently the yard is closed, tho the main is still traveled by Septa's R8 Chestnut Hill West line.

Can anyone confirm? When was the yard closed? What happened to the transfer job that ran between Midvale and Falls yards? Is TastyKake still a rail customer?

Any answers appreciated.
-Charlie
Any idea what ever happened to the old PRR Shadow Keystone boxcar that was sitting on the east side of the R8 for many years?
 #670423  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

Ah,Yes the "Don't Stand Me Still" car...................they used it for storage when I worked at midvale yard.
 #670538  by railroadcarmover

glennk419 wrote:
Urban D Kaye wrote:Was back in my old neighborhood briefly this weekend and swung by the Conrail Shared Assets Midvale Yard. I had expected to see a few lonesome boxcars and maybe an aging Geep. What I saw was...nothing. I mean, nothing. Not only was there yard entirely empty, but the building was locked and boarded-up. The fence was gone, as were the Conrail "Private Property - No Trespassing" signs. Apparently the yard is closed, tho the main is still traveled by Septa's R8 Chestnut Hill West line.

Any answers appreciated.
-Charlie
Any idea what ever happened to the old PRR Shadow Keystone boxcar that was sitting on the east side of the R8 for many years?

It was acquired for restoration. I know of the outfit that acquired it, but cant recall the name.
 #1199052  by OldRedLeg

Ah yes,I remember Midvale yard office well when I was a traveling janitor making a weekly stop there.I believe the Yardmaster was a Dan O'Hara or something close to that. Good old days as they say. Starting from Greenwich yard in S.Phila,going to Frankford yard,making mail runs to 32nd St.