Railroad Forums 

• Ohio River Terminal C415'S for sale

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#28325  by Alcoman

Just read with dismay that the 2 Alco C415's that OHIO RIVER TERMINAL has been using for the past 10 + years are now up for sale. These are rare as they are the only ones left with Hi-Ad Trucks in North America.

They need a good home...Any one interested?

See RAIL SWAP under diesel locomotives. http://www.railswap.org/

Alcoman

#37800  by Alcochaser

One of units threw a piston.... 251 V8 blocks are hard to come by.

#37862  by Alcoman

Alco chaser wrote: 251 V8 blocks are hard to come by.

This is very true for V-8's in locomotive service. The C415 was the only locomotive built that uses this engine.

However, they can be found often in both stationary and marine service.
Also; FM/Alco sells this engine brand new.

#38021  by BrianM

I called about these units when they first posted them on Railswap. Both units need new wheels before they are even moved and the asking prices are too high.

Brian

#38024  by Alcoman

I agree Brian. The asking price is $ 41k each! OUCH!

Too high given thier condition which ranges from good to very poor. The one with the bad prime mover should not be any higher than $ 15k. The other one should be no higher than $ 25k. The reason they have bad wheels is that the units were never turned around to equilize wear on the wheel treads.

#55342  by Alcoman

I heard recently that they have been sold. Does anyone know more about this?

#63331  by GN 599

Are these former SP&S motors? They had the had the hi ad trucks. They were numbered 100 and 101 and wore BN numbers 4010 and 4011. Some of the old heads I work with still talk about them if they are in fact the SP&S ones it would be nice to see them back out here on the west coast. If anyone is interested I can relay some funny stories of these motors. :wink:

#63497  by missthealcos

Yes, they are the SP&S units

#63579  by GN 599

Anyone know if they have changed hands yet? 41k is way too much given the work it sounds like they need. I had a line on a RS-11 with new rings, good wheels 26 air, ready for service for 29k about 9 months ago. I think it was through Indiana box car, real nice people. :-)
 #203343  by BSOR Patarak

Anyone know of the 4010 and 4011's current status? Are they still at the River Terminal? What kind of shape were they left in? Meaning, were they properly drained/winterized and stacks covered?

Thanks,
Pat Connors
BSOR (ex RI #423 C415)

#203353  by Alcoman

With all the Alcos that are for sale, oddballs like the C415 should be priced at bargin basement prices. Ohio Terminal's should go about 1/2 of the asking price given their condition at last report. I know who has 8-251 engine for sale too to replace the bad one in 4010.

#204602  by SOU2645

Both are stored out of sight to fans from reports. The wheels are in very bad shape on 4011 which is operable. 4010 has the blown block. They were very cordial to me on a September 2004 visit and even fired up 4011 and moved it outside the shop so I could shoot it.
Larry

#204875  by Legio X

Hopefully someone will sucessfully haggle with them and get these units, such as A&M, SRNJ, LA&L or D-L....

#204876  by Legio X

Add to that list M&E.....
 #204977  by pablo

I hate to be the bearer of bad news - or ideas, but...

There's a reason why these units weren't bought in large numbers in the first place. Then, beyond that, there have been many of them available (percentage-wise, many of them, anyway) and they haven't been grabbed.

When you bring the apparently high price into the equation, these won't likely be sold anytime soon, unless for parts. The problems with the specific block the 415's have will rule them out from many railroads that are ALCO-friendly, and since they aren't currently operating, that rules them out of many others.

A better question to little old selfish me is whether or not there are specific care practices that prolong the life of these. In other words, everybody knows that 244's have some issues, and always did, but when cared for in a specific way (as far as I read) they are durable. Any such luck with a 415? Anything prospective buyers should know?

Dave Becker