Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Conductor Trainee School

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#630787  by conductbud64

This is the latest info I have. You will be furloughed after training.

Class Id: CB200925
Start Date: 06/22/09
End Date: 10/02/09
Road: BN
Station: WHITEFISH MT
Divn: MON
Total Hire: 10
 #631463  by SantaFeGuy

You can work another job while on unemployment. You must report the income, and the RRB pays the differential between what you're unemployment should be and what you're job is paying. If the job pays more than unemployment, then you don't get any unemployment for that period.
 #631465  by SantaFeGuy

In Texas, as of today, 1/29/2009 we're still losing people. This is a really really bad one. Traffic is down big time. No recalls, only more furloughs. It could be a while before getting called back, maybe even a year. I too have seen on the economic forecasts that recover won't begin until 2010. Now normally in recessions, the rails and freight transportation in general leads the way into the recession, that is, we go down before the rest of the economy feels it. But on the recover, we tend to lead the way also. If that is true, and 2010 will be a potential recovery, then we might see traffic start to increase for the Christmas season. And if Obama can get some serious public works building projects going, then that would generate a lot of materials movement which would help. But the everyone I talk to says they've never seen on this bad, ever. The only person I know who has seen it worse is my Grandfather who worked for Santa Fe during the 30's, he said it was worse then. On their block, there were 16 families, my grand pa was still living at home with his parents, and his dad worked for the KCS. Of the 16 families which included people who owned stores, only grand pa and his dad had jobs, everyone else was out of work for years. But grand pa and his dad bought all the materials the neighborhood needed to have a been garden to feed everyone, and do repairs to houses, and all the neighborhood men made sure the garden was up and running and repairs got done. People just help each other back then and toughed it through.
 #634016  by AZRR08

Thanks for the update Santafeguy. Well I can't afford to wait for a year until I get a conductor job, so does anyone on this site know if you can make a good living as a track worker (MOW)? Is the compensation even close? Like overtime,weekends,etc? I am considering it since the conductor position appears to be a pipe dream at this point.