Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned Cars in Belvidere

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#629130  by Paul Miller

Hey Guys, just happened to be in Belvidere today doing some research. Though these have been mentioned before on the threads, thought I'd get some recent pictures of the 2 abandoned Conrail cars on the L.H.R. These are just off Mansfield Street.
belvidere012409 029.1.jpg
belvidere012409 031.1.jpg
belvidere012409 034.1.jpg
 #630970  by woodsie

Has anyone seen "abandoned" LHR ore cars; 1900 and/or 2000 series?
I need details for modeling!
 #631196  by Paul Miller

Woodsie, not sure if you're familiar with Tom Callan/Short Line Hobbies. He has a 2000 class hopper model with superb detail. He's at a lot of the train shows. If you need his personal info, you can pm me. hope this helps..Paul
 #631331  by NYS&W142Fan

They look like MofW cars. Probably left over from when CR tore up the L&HR line years ago. They may have ran out of their COT&S and because they were old cars, just left them. Too bad because some small railroads might be able to make something out of them or use them for their own MofW.
 #1266367  by Schuylkill Valley

The cars have been sitting there since 1988 . I was over to Belvidere, NJ. last Tuesday to see them. I belong to the Colebrookdale Railroad Trust of Boyertown and We are working along with Norfolk Southern to have NS donate the cars to us.
The only hurtle we have is to get them out to the main. The Yellow Car 55588 has roller bearings and we can load the 66487 in the 55588 and ship them both by rail. The line is over grown with 20+ year trees and will need to be cut away .
By Google Earth views there appears to be others sitting closer to the main too.

So does any one own a crane that would donate some time in helping out a railroad historical trust ?

Thank you,

Len.
 #1266797  by David

Paul Miller wrote:That siding is no longer connected to the main, they pulled out the switch and frog 2 years ago

Paul, Do you mean the old L&HR Main or the NS main located at the old G Tower area?
 #1266902  by David

Paul--Is there any rail traffic at all going north of the old G Tower? (Oops off topic!)
 #1267170  by Paul Miller

Hi Dave, not quite sure, there was in 2008, haven't been there for about 2 years. They were delivering coal to a company right near Manunka Chunk on Route 46-think it was LaRoche at that point.
You coming up to eplore this year? Been busy writing the LHR N.Y. section, but should have time to adveture......... :P
 #1267344  by David

Paul Miller wrote:Hi Dave, not quite sure, there was in 2008, haven't been there for about 2 years. They were delivering coal to a company right near Manunka Chunk on Route 46-think it was LaRoche at that point.
You coming up to eplore this year? Been busy writing the LHR N.Y. section, but should have time to adveture......... :P

Yes--Coming up to New Jersey from June 17th to July 17th--I want to explore the Belvidere area where those gondola cars are located. the "G" Tower area, and several areas along the L&HR. Just have to get a date. Hope to meet with you and hopefully be one of the first people to buy your L&HR New York #2 edition if published!--
 #1269039  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Hi fellas. I'll be doing some exploring of the old L&HR this week(weather permitting) I want to check out Belvidere, Buttzville,Great Meadows, Allamuchy, AndoverJct. I figure I want to get in to some of these spots before everything grows wild.