Railroad Forums 

• Fore River Transportation (FRVT) / Braintree Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#629592  by 130MM

I haven't been there in a while, and freight schedules are notoriously irregular; but they (Fore River) generally make a turn to/from Braintree Yard mid-day. CSX no longer goes to Braintree. AFAIK the shipyard is private property. There are a few public grade crossings on the Fore River itself, and Commercial St. crosses the Greenbush at, ironically enough, Shipyard Interlocking. This is where the Fore River meets the Greenbush. There are no good spots to see the move once it gets on the Greenbush, though you might be able to see something at the north end of Braintree commuter rail platform.

DAW
diburning wrote:Does anyone know if they have any scheduled/regular trips or trains? Also, is the shipyard open to the public? (I know it's now owned by auto-tycoon Dan Quirk)

How often does FRVT switch out Braintree Yard? Does CSX ever go to Braintree Yard?
 #629637  by Tracer

I was down there over the summer and it looked like there was alot of security in the ship yard(they have gaurd shacks at the entrances). I didnt want to drive up to the gaurd shack and say "i'd like to take pictures of those trains pulling the tank cars", i don't think that would have gone over well. So i went over to were the USS Massachsetts is docked and from there i got lucky and saw them shoving about ten tank cars towards the water. Thats probably the only decent spot over there(unless the shipyard is open to the public).

hope this helps
 #629733  by firemedic2932

There is a daily (except weekend) train to the interchange with CSX @ East Braintree yard that usually follows the 11 AM northbound Greenbush train (080 I think). Look for them holding the siding under Middle St. They work the yard for a couple of hours and return mid day to the shipyard and can be seen switching out Fore River Technologies under the Fore River Bridge usually between 1-4 PM. The shipyard is heavily patrolled, but a few shots are available around the USS Salem and on East Howard St. One of the best spots is accessed off of Bower Rd which is the first R after crossing Quincy Ave heading away from the shipyard on Howard St. There is a parking lot for a function hall there, and the tracks run past Eatons Pond through an old quarry. This makes for a good AM shot on their trip to East Braintree yard usually around 1030-1100. CSX runs whenever it seems to East Braintree but as a rule MWF and arrive around 1230.
 #663427  by diburning

firemedic2932 wrote:There is a daily (except weekend) train to the interchange with CSX @ East Braintree yard that usually follows the 11 AM northbound Greenbush train (080 I think). Look for them holding the siding under Middle St. They work the yard for a couple of hours and return mid day to the shipyard and can be seen switching out Fore River Technologies under the Fore River Bridge usually between 1-4 PM. The shipyard is heavily patrolled, but a few shots are available around the USS Salem and on East Howard St. One of the best spots is accessed off of Bower Rd which is the first R after crossing Quincy Ave heading away from the shipyard on Howard St. There is a parking lot for a function hall there, and the tracks run past Eatons Pond through an old quarry. This makes for a good AM shot on their trip to East Braintree yard usually around 1030-1100. CSX runs whenever it seems to East Braintree but as a rule MWF and arrive around 1230.
Is East Braintree Yard the yard that can be seen from Braintree station? I know that futher into the yard cannot be seen easily from the platform, but I've seen then from behind the mall that is right next to the yard
 #680653  by boatsmate

They still have the 3 engines 101,102, and I cna remember the third nuumber off hand, they rotate the engines every couple of days it seems.

the best place to see them is in the Harbor Express paring lot when the are working the plant. there is also 2 track mobiles at the plant. they switch out the cars and move the empties out to crossing in the parking lot at the boat when the RR is not working (nights and Weekends) the RR does work on Weekneds sometimes when thety have a big movemeont or ned extra cars in the plant. I have pnly seen this once over the last couple of months.

Hope this helps

Capt Bill
 #688039  by firemedic2932

Did Clean Harbors ever recieve rail service in Braintree? According to an old aerial photo from the 70's it appears there was a spur which ran from the Shipyard main along Hillside St to an area of storage tanks, near where Clean Harbors is now. Not sure if this spur was used by the Shipyard or Braintree Electric Co back then but there doesn't appear to be any evidence of it left now. Just wondering if Clean harbors ever used it before it was torn up.
 #730215  by atsf sp

#734394  by Tracer

firemedic2932 wrote: One of the best spots is accessed off of Bower Rd which is the first R after crossing Quincy Ave heading away from the shipyard on Howard St. There is a parking lot for a function hall there, and the tracks run past Eatons Pond through an old quarry. This makes for a good AM shot on their trip to East Braintree yard usually around 1030-1100.
Thanks for the info firemedic, thats a real good spot.
Heading to the shipyard near Bower Rd