Railroad Forums 

• EMD SD60 series official thread (covers all variations)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#62225  by crazy_nip

ha ha ha...

this keeps getting funnier

#62321  by CSX ENG

I didn't see any posts by TerryC! Maybe they got smart and deleted all of his???

#62372  by Allen Hazen

Hmmm.
Suppose you were a person newly interested in railroads, gazing in wide-eyed wonder, needing even the most basic things explained to you, and you saw, for the first time, concrete ties with the rail secured by Pandrol clips. How would you describe them when you tried to ask someone what they were?
"something about using paper clips for spikes" maybe?

#62461  by crazy_nip

Allen Hazen wrote:Hmmm.
Suppose you were a person newly interested in railroads, gazing in wide-eyed wonder, needing even the most basic things explained to you, and you saw, for the first time, concrete ties with the rail secured by Pandrol clips. How would you describe them when you tried to ask someone what they were?
"something about using paper clips for spikes" maybe?

that is what www.google.com is for...

you can find out answers to all your stupid questions there and ask tough, or unique ones here...

really, maybe there ought to be a "beginners" forum for the "tough questions" like "how many axles does a SD60 have"

you know, for the terryC/EMD_SD60 type people, even though they are the same person

oh, and for being so "stupid" and "not knowing anything about trains" I knew answers to all your stupid questions without even having to pause to think about it

#62463  by emd_SD_60

crazy_nip,
what do i have to do to get this through your thick skull? Me and Terry C are two different people, i have no idea who that guy is, so come off it! (btw a SD60 has 6 axles, dummy :-D )
Last edited by emd_SD_60 on Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#62518  by Robert Paniagua

Ok gents, please don't "hurt" each other......

It bothers me that I see you all fighting over Mr. TerryC for nothing, really. And I understand now that he's doing such questions on the other forums? Well, he'll most likely get the same responses, I think :-)........

#62528  by TerryC

I have only posted on RAILROAD.NET. I have never gone to Trains.com. Maybe somebody there uses the same screen name. Terence is not a uncommon name.

keep asking, keep learning
http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net/ (out of order 11/29/04)
Last edited by TerryC on Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#62544  by emd_SD_60

Robert Paniagua wrote:Ok gents, please don't "hurt" each other......

It bothers me that I see you all fighting over Mr. TerryC for nothing, really. And I understand now that he's doing such questions on the other forums? Well, he'll most likely get the same responses, I think :-)........
very well said Robert, it's just that i am getting fed up with dealing with that creep crazy_nip, his having to be so anal in his responses, and having the nerve to say i'm Terry C's alter-ego is totally uncalled for. It has been established by me that Terry C and I are two different people, but he just can't get that thru his thick head. :( I am so sick of this little squabble, i want it to end right now, so whenever crazy_nip is ready, i am too
 #62625  by Allen Hazen

A couple of thoughts inspired by Crazy Nip's recent comments:

"really, maybe there ought to
be a "beginners" forum"
Maybe not a bad idea! (And we could have a rule on all the forums that anyone who says something egregiously stupid or RUDE has to go and give thoughtful, helpful, POLITE answers to some questions from newbies.) ... Is there at least a FAQ with really, really, basic stuff about railroads that we could refer beginners to?

"that is what www.google.com
is for..."

Not so sure about that. The case I imagined was of a new railfan seeing Pandrol clips for the first time and wondering how they relate to conventional spikes. He wouldn't know the name-- what would he type into Google to get information?

(Hmmm. I fear this is pretty far off the original topic of this string. I think I will henceforth STOP posting responses in this string.)

#62634  by Leo_Ames

Could some actually please answer the question?

I'd like to know as well (For example where did that commuter agency (Can't remember the name) get those SD60's that they planned to transplant the guts into F40's?)

And despite the remarks to use a search engine, I've been unsuccessful.

And I guess that means I better not ask what ever happened to the C&NW executive F units that UP got in the merger, which I've been unable to find a answer for (I only know where 402, 403, and 411 went, not the other 4).

Don't want to get my head bit off too.

#62648  by emd_SD_60

Leo_Ames wrote: I'd like to know as well (For example where did that commuter agency (Can't remember the name) get those SD60's that they planned to transplant the guts into F40's?)
I believe it is Southern California's Metrolink that did that, they took 4 ex-Amtrak F40's from their deadline and rebuilt one of them just before they were stored. The SD60's came from GE Leasing subsidiaries, freight locomotives that had just came off their 15-year leases. "Metrolink is looking at putting the guts of its two best F40's into SD60 shells, to give it two 6-axle work train engines with plenty of tractive effort. The "Super F40s" will be used in conjunction with the new passenger cars Metrolink currently has out for bid." I got this info from the June 2004 issue of Trains Magazine, I hope this helps you. :wink:

#62663  by Robert Paniagua

very well said Robert, it's just that i am getting fed up with dealing with that creep crazy_nip, his having to be so anal in his responses, and having the nerve to say i'm Terry C's alter-ego is totally uncalled for. It has been established by me that Terry C and I are two different people, but he just can't get that thru his thick head. :-( I am so sick of this little squabble, i want it to end right now, so whenever crazy_nip is ready, i am too

I agree with you, my friend. Anytime. I also don't like it when you or others are accused of imping others or being a variant of "TerryC" or someone else.

#62664  by Jay Potter

In response to the Metrolink SD60 and C&NW F-unit questions. . .

The Metrolink SD60 issue is discussed four topics down in this forum in Allen Hazen's "SD-58" postings, which include a further reference to the previous "F45 Rebuilds" topic.

On the F-unit question, I followed Crazy Nip's advice and did a Google search. It sent me relatively quickly to the UtahRails.net site, on which I found the following information provided by Don Strack: "Seven former C&NW F-units were moved from storage at Marshalltown to UP at Cheyenne during late April 1995, including F7As 400, 401, 402, and 403, and F7Bs 315, 410 and 411. The units will probably be cannibalized for parts, then scrapped."

#62684  by Leo_Ames

I knew they came off their 15 year leases, but what railroad were they leased to, or what lease fleet if anyone happens to know? Only SD60 retirements or non merger related sales I've been able to come up with were retirements due to wreck damage. If this was mentioned in that thread, ignore this since I'll be checking it later, got a class to get going to and don't have the time to check right now.

And from the reports I've read, the C&NW F units were moved to Cheyenne for "safe keeping". And the 3 I mentioned haven't been scrapped.

Thanks for the help, I sure hope that's wrong though and the other 4 survived too.

#62960  by SSW9389

If I remember correctly the SD60s that came off lease were UP's ex C&NW SD60s. The lease was not renewed. Trust, but verify, my memory a'int what it used to be.
Leo_Ames wrote:I knew they came off their 15 year leases, but what railroad were they leased to, or what lease fleet if anyone happens to know? Only SD60 retirements or non merger related sales I've been able to come up with were retirements due to wreck damage. If this was mentioned in that thread, ignore this since I'll be checking it later, got a class to get going to and don't have the time to check right now.

And from the reports I've read, the C&NW F units were moved to Cheyenne for "safe keeping". And the 3 I mentioned haven't been scrapped.

Thanks for the help, I sure hope that's wrong though and the other 4 survived too.