Railroad Forums 

• Pioneer Valley Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#499164  by superwarp1

You want to catch action on the Pioneer better be there for dawn. They have to tricks both before 9 am. They run to Holyoke two to three times a week. They were at the Big E train show and things are going great for them. Possibility of more customers in the Holyoke area.

#499472  by cpf354

B&A_Railfan wrote:To add to that list...

Superior Carriers in Holyoke- Receives Wax. Off loaded and trucked up to Yankee Candle.

Sonoco in Holyoke- New customer that receives Starch.
And the "other railway" in Holyoke, hasn't added a customer since, forever? :wink:
Last I knew, Laminated Paper was just getting inbounds. I knew first hand that at one time they wanted to get switched by PVRR, but it wasn't possible.
 #499517  by GP9

Actually, Laminated Paper close a couple years ago. Last time I was there both buildings were empty.

#499547  by gprimr1

That really says something, Yankee Candle is basically on the B&M, and they choose to get their wax delivered by PVRR and trucked up.

#499994  by superwarp1

Tells how bad Pam Am's customer service doesn't it.
 #501383  by hrrphil

PVRR does switch cars of wax in Holyoke for YCI.
They are heated with low pressure (free) steam to allow the wax for low into trailers that are trucked to YCI's manufacturing facility in Whately. B&M/PanAm cannot do this, no free steam in Wahtely to melt wax.

I work in Westfield at Savage Arms, PVRR switches our front yard allmost all day long, good thing I do not have a window! never get anything done. :-D
They move a lot of cars to and from our east end and a nearby buildig to off load materials for transload to trucks or storage inside or building for later shipment.

#501599  by Jedijk88

Yankee Candle at one time had a siding into their facility, but tore it out because Guilford wouldn't serve them.
 #625906  by atsf sp

I was recently looking through the 2009 Locomotive Rosters & News booklet and I noticed the Pioneer Valley RR in Westfield, MA. And I noticed they run 3 CF7s. Where does this railroad operate, what is the frequency of trains and where would be the best place to see the CF7s? Any information aboput this railroad would be helpful since I have never heard of it before.
 #625984  by atsf sp

Thanks for the link.
 #709045  by Cadet57

I have a day off tomorrow and want to go spot the PVRR. Anyone know where they run on mondays? Anything in holyoke?
 #709104  by superwarp1

If you do a search for past threads, there were mentions of schedule but I know this. Better get up early because most of their movements are before daybreak unless they go to Holyoke
 #758498  by atsf sp

Would they lay over their power at the Westfield yard on Weekends? Do they run weekends?
 #758545  by Cadet57

atsf sp wrote:Would they lay over their power at the Westfield yard on Weekends? Do they run weekends?
Not usually no. The only time I have seen them on a weekend was when they were running a Christmas special to Holyoke.