Railroad Forums 

• High ISO's and film

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#600092  by Amtrak7

On a digital camera, high iso's will cause a blurry image.

Is this true of film?
 #600131  by EMTRailfan

Amtrak7 wrote:On a digital camera, high iso's will cause a blurry image.

Is this true of film?
You actually have it backward. A higher ISO will 'help' against blurring, but the blurring is mostly dependant on your shutter speed. As with film, a higher will create more grain/noise. An ISO is for the most part the equivelent of film's speed. A lower ISO will make a nicer photo, but your subject has to be stationary, and well lit.
 #600701  by dj_paige

Is this true of film?
On a digital camera, high ISO will cause a NOISY image. Blurring has nothing to do with ISO, it is only affected by subject motion and camera motion.

Both sentences above are true for film as well.
 #600919  by railohio

High speed film can cause a grainy image. However the latest and greatest slide films, Fuji's Provia line, have great grain structure that's barely noticeable when enlarged. Film has come a long, long way since Kodachrome 200...
 #600938  by MEC407

Very true. Kodachrome 200 was particularly grainy, but also particularly sharp, which can actually be a nice combination depending on what kind of look you're going for. I like to think of it as the color version of Tri-X.
 #601608  by RailBus63

I loved using Kodachrome 200 for available light photos, including nighttime images taken at stations, subway shots, etc. The grain was much less noticeable than it would be in a daylight photo and the sharpness was awesome.

MBTA Boeing LRV 3500 at Hynes-Convention Center station in December 2005 (K200 - Nikon EM w/ 50 mm f1.8 lens, f4 at approx. 1/15th second exposure)

#616707  by n01jd1

Is this true of film?
With film higher ISO's give you grainier images. Kodachrome 64, if you can find it and get it processed has little or no grain but is very picky. It does not respond well to over/underexposure. 100 speed films have very fine grain but are not good for low light. 200 speed is a good all around film. The grain isnt bad and works well under most lighting conditions. 400 speed is pretty grainy but usable. Good for dire emergencies when you cant get anything else or for low light situaltions. 800 speed and above, forget it. Way too grainy and a waste of money for the one or two f stops you would get from them.
 #616739  by MEC407

Today's digital SLR cameras have high ISO capabilities that blow film out of the water. My Pentax K100D, which is over two years old and no longer in production, produces results at ISO 1600 that look as good as, or better than, ISO 200 film.
 #619668  by Chessie GM50

MEC407 wrote:Today's digital SLR cameras have high ISO capabilities that blow film out of the water. My Pentax K100D, which is over two years old and no longer in production, produces results at ISO 1600 that look as good as, or better than, ISO 200 film.
But not everyone has an SLR. My d60 blows the G9, out of the water when it comes to ISO performance. The difference is the physical size of the sensor (NOT megapixels) and the Image Processor. You can't group ALL digital cameras in the same boat in terms of ISO performance, because different types, and even brads will give different results.
 #619671  by MEC407

Chessie GM50 wrote:You can't group ALL digital cameras in the same boat in terms of ISO performance
Correct, which is why I specifically said "digital SLRs" and didn't say "all digital cameras."
 #619922  by Chessie GM50

MEC407 wrote:
Chessie GM50 wrote:You can't group ALL digital cameras in the same boat in terms of ISO performance
Correct, which is why I specifically said "digital SLRs" and didn't say "all digital cameras."
I wasn't directing that to you...