Railroad Forums 

• EMD SD60 series official thread (covers all variations)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#60890  by mxdata

Do all the SD60s have a timer built into them, like the clocks on GM automobiles, that makes them stop running the day after they go out of warranty?

Keep guessing, keep making mistakes!
(It makes more things for me to repair!) :-D :-D :-D :-D

#61247  by TerryC

I have heard about SD60's being rid of by some companies. I just want to know what those companies names are.

keep searching keep finding
http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net/ (out of order as of 10/16/04)
Last edited by TerryC on Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

#61263  by crazy_nip

TerryC wrote:I have heard about SD60's being rid of by some companies. I just want to know what those companies names are.

keep searching keep finding
http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net/ (out of order as of 10/15/04)
great northern railway

new york central

missouri pacific

and the GM&O are amongst them...

#61351  by mxdata

Are those the SD60's that the Erie Lackawanna is buying so that they can convert them into SDP45's?

Keep guessing, keep making mistakes!
(It makes more things for me to repair!) :-D :-D :-D :-D

#61396  by crazy_nip

mxdata wrote:Are those the SD60's that the Erie Lackawanna is buying so that they can convert them into SDP45's?
no, they are buying SDL39's to convert for that project

#61405  by CSX ENG

TerryC: Does your Mommy and Daddy know you're always playing on their computer??

#61408  by crazy_nip

if you want real answers, you may want to try

http://www.google.com

#61476  by SSW9389

I don't think I've read about very many SD60s getting sold off. Maybe the ones UP merged from the C&NW. The oldest SD60s are getting long in the tooth, so they could be recapitalized in a rebuilding program or more likely be sold off into the lease fleets to replace older yet locomotives. If you figure a fifteen year depreciation period then any SD60 built in 1989 or prior is ripe for replacement.

#61487  by Joe

If you don't want stupid answers, don't ask stupid questions (or very unanswerable ones.) :(

#61534  by Jay Potter

Terry, I decided to reply to the "I want real answers, not stupid ones" comment that you added to this topic title. Although I haven't been giving "stupid" answers to your questions, I have been ignoring them; and I'll explain, in the context of this SD60 question, why I've been doing that.

I'm relatively sure that I could answer your SD60 question. However, in order to do so, I would have to review one book and a number of back issues of magazines. Then I would have to do some Internet research. Finally, I would have to draft and post my answer. The entire process would probably take between two and four hours.

Although there have been instances in which I've expended that amount of time to assist people on the Internet, I wouldn't expend that amount of time to assist you. This is because, in the past when people used to give "real answers" to your questions, you generally made no response at all to those answers. What would typically happen, after one of your questions had been answered, is that the forum would hear nothing from you for a week or so; and then you would post another question on an entirely unrelated topic. I can't speak for anyone else, but that process always left me wondering if the answer that you had received to your previous question had been at all useful to you and if you had any appreciation for the effort that one or more people had expended to provide that answer to you.

One illustration of the point that I'm trying to make is the question that you posted last month on the Fallen Flags forum asking about the history of Detroit Edison. When Otto Vondrak asked you to make your question more specific, you didn't even acknowledge that request. Instead, you silently abandoned the topic and, I suppose, chose instead to come up with a question on some other topic to ask on some other forum. This leads me to believe that your Detroit Edison question wasn't at all important to you in the first place and that anyone who made an effort to answer it would have been wasting his time.

Basically, your "keep asking keep learning" and "keep searching keep finding" concepts are fine in theory; but, as a practical matter, most people are going to need something more substantial than nice-sounding phrases before they will be willing to expend their time to assist an essentially anonymous person sitting at a keyboard somewhere. What I, at least, will need is some reassurance that this expenditure of time will serve some purpose.

There are some extremely knowledgeable people on this forum; and I've seen them provide a great many "real" answers to difficult questions. However I strongly suspect that there will not be many "real" answers directed to you until you do two things. First, make it clear that you understand that it generally takes far more time and effort to answer a question than it does to ask the question in the first place. Second, make it clear to the people who do answer your questions that their answers really did do you some good. If you can do those two things, you might begin to get the "real" answers that you're seeking.

If you can't do those two things, I'm afraid that some people will continue to provide only "stupid" answers and others, myself included, will continue to provide no answers at all.

#61585  by crazy_nip

Jay,

its not just that. This is a relatively easy "stupid" question to answer. It would require not much more than a few minutes of effort and the use of www.google.com

the fact that he fails to even do any research himself leads me to not answer any of his stupid questions

not just that, his (and his alter-ego EMD_SD60) continue to ask stupid questions which any fool with half a brain and an internet connection could answer

#61599  by Justin B

Moderators ---

I think this thread has gone far enough and someone needs to put it out of its misery.

#61733  by Highball116

Terry-

There aren't any major names I can think of that are phasing out SD60s on a large scale. A unit is taken off the roster whenever it gets too old to be in service, and there certainly are some SDs out there that are a little too old not be replaced. Which types of SD60s are you referring to? There are some designations that have been around longer, and some that are newer... are you looking for a certain type? There are some rosters online, but a lot are historical and not very current.

- Toby

#61950  by TerryC

Thanks for all the info and advice. AmtrakFan gave the imprssion that the Detroit Edison still exists, but has no locomotives just freight cars.

#62128  by emd_SD_60

crazy_nip wrote:Jay,

its not just that. This is a relatively easy "stupid" question to answer. It would require not much more than a few minutes of effort and the use of www.google.com

the fact that he fails to even do any research himself leads me to not answer any of his stupid questions

not just that, his (and his alter-ego EMD_SD60) continue to ask stupid questions which any fool with half a brain and an internet connection could answer
crazy_nip,
You know nothing about trains, period. All you give is smartass replies on the forum (most have NOTHING to do with trains) and you have the nerve to say that me and Terry C are the same. DEAD WRONG! I have no idea who that guy is, so check your facts next time, bud. Heck, at least I know a lot more about trains than you! :-D Oh, and while i'm at it, get the 2 by 4 out of your ass