Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#590902  by DERECCO

I was just thinking after standing next to one of the new GE's parked near the Amtrak station in Ticonderoga the other day how nice it would be to see new power painted in the D&H lightning stripe scheme. Any ideas on the subject? Would CP ever consider it ? It would be nice to see 2 GE's in this scheme!!
 #590964  by SooLineRob

Maybe Engineer Spike would add his thoughts also, but...

Probably not going to happen. Canadian Pacific is slowly repainting and renumbering "heritage" units into full CP paint for the sake of "branding", or uniformity, following a unit's major overhaul. CP doesn't want to been "seen" as the D&H or SOO Line. CP doesn't spend money on paint for the sake of having shiney units, they only repaint during major work. I recall hearing it costs around $200,000 to repaint and renumber a unit. Witness all the SOO and ex-Milwaukee Road units still running around still in their factory paint jobs. And those units only get the full CP repaint when they're shopped for major work/rebuild. CP only spends money when it's required. Paint isn't required to make the loco perform. I highly doubt CP would ever consider repainting a perfectly good C44AC into a heritage unit.

While it would be nice to see "heritage" GE's painted up in D&H, SOO, Milwaukee Road, and MN&S paint, CP could spend that million dollars elsewhere ... like the DM&E/IC&E properties.
 #591893  by Mem160

Tower 55 was toying with the idea of this. I had some eMail conversations with the guy in charge, I forget his name. The were going to do one of those "Heritage" schemes of their own that they did with NP/WP/MLW, etc......I don't know what will happen now, I understand Athearn bought their rights, but even before that they'd cooled down on the idea, because their regular production models, such as the SD70ACe's weren't released as of then. But I guess you could contact Athearn and ask them their opinion of the T55 Heritage Schemes, and see if they plan to follow through with it...... :wink:
 #592763  by Otto Vondrak

DERECCO wrote:I WAS JUST THINKING AFTER STANDING NEXT TO ONE OF THE NEW GE'S PARKED NEAR THE AMTRAK STATION IN TICONDEROGA THE OTHER DAY HOW NICE IT WOULD BE TO SEE NEW POWER PAINTED IN THE D&H LIGHTNING STRIPE SCHEME. ANY IDEAS ON THE SUBJECT? WOULD CP EVER CONSIDER IT ? IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE 2 GE'S IN THIS SCHEME!!
Can you not type in all caps? IT'S HARD TO READ AND LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING.

Model railroading is a great hobby, you are free to create whatever you like!
 #628745  by Bob Sandusky

Ok the P40s are just butt ugly and we ought to be thankful that we will never see them in D&H colors.

However you did a really nice job on the two freight engines. They look goooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddddd.

Bob sandusky
Esperance
 #648178  by Champlain Division

'Preciate it, pardner. There's nothin' like classic Lightning Stripe done right.
 #654263  by march hare

I really like the lighning stripes on a GE Genesis. That is by far the best thing that's been done to one of those pugs so far. Well, the best thing that's been done with paint, anyway. The few that have been worked over with a cutting torch look a lot better now.

As for the fantasy paint schemes from Athearn, they just announced AC4400s in WP, Rio Grande, and couple of others this week (not the modernized ones that really exist, either--these will be "real fantasy" paint jobs). Actually going to happen.
 #654669  by Engineer Spike

You finally got me to comment! The senior conductor on the D&H (1956 braking date) says that real D&H power is black with yellow stripes!

That sounds like my uncle saying real New Haven colours are green and orange.
 #654928  by Steve Wagner

The only fantasy D&H paint scheme I plan to do is what I think the railroad should have done if it had bought, leased or borrowed RDC-2's from the Boston & Maine if the New York State authorities had allowed it to substitute RDC's for conventional passenger equipment on the Laurentians. I have a Proto 1000 LV RDC-2 and plan to make the letterboards yellow with blue roadnames, the ends yellow (for good visibility) with a blue door on each end with a D&H shield herald on it.